FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By deleted user
I use sphagnum moss for my gecko's shedding, and wondered if it would grow for carnivorous plant use? It says it's live but I've had it nearly a year now, kept it wet and with no light in a cold shed as I didn't think about using it as a medium. If it's still alive, could I grow it and how would I do it?
Thanks ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By uusa2000
I've seen folks here with live moss

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
It's not live but it may be possible to revive it. You need to keep it in a high humidity environment and consistently moist (not too wet) with moderate light for up to a couple months to get it growing again.

Since you've stored it wet for so long I couldn't say if it's still possible to revive though. Dead moss is best stored dry and is often sold in compressed blocks to prevent it from degrading.
By deleted user
nimbulan wrote:It's not live but it may be possible to revive it. You need to keep it in a high humidity environment and consistently moist (not too wet) with moderate light for up to a couple months to get it growing again.

Since you've stored it wet for so long I couldn't say if it's still possible to revive though. Dead moss is best stored dry and is often sold in compressed blocks to prevent it from degrading.
Thanks for the information. Should I just put it in a tray, or should I put some sphagnum peat moss under it?

By LAKJP
rulen24 wrote:
nimbulan wrote:It's not live but it may be possible to revive it. You need to keep it in a high humidity environment and consistently moist (not too wet) with moderate light for up to a couple months to get it growing again.

Thanks for the information. Should I just put it in a tray, or should I put some sphagnum peat moss under it?

Both ways work, but usually people recommend with some peat underneath. I usually use live Sphagnum moss as a top dressing layer and it grows well like that above a peat based mix.
By Smooter80
A sure way to get sphagnum to revive is to sow rare, slow germinating CP seeds on dead LSFM. The moss will then start growing at an alarming rate, hopelessly coving your seeds. #failproof.
By deleted user
LAKJP wrote:
rulen24 wrote:

Both ways work, but usually people recommend with some peat underneath. I usually use live Sphagnum moss as a top dressing layer and it grows well like that above a peat based mix.
I've done this, it's in my greenhouse and will receive over 4 hours of sunlight. Do you think it will start growing? ImageImage

By titankilller1231
I had a bag of sphagnum moss (stored wet) and it has come back to life with some green colouration. I didn't even keep it in super high humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By deleted user
roarke wrote:I've done this, it's in my greenhouse and will receive over 4 hours of sunlight. Do you think it will start growing? ImageImage

roarke wrote:Yes.
Great. I've bought 2kg of live sphagnum as well
Last edited by deleted user on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tannerm
roarke wrote:I've done this, it's in my greenhouse and will receive over 4 hours of sunlight. Do you think it will start growing? ImageImage

Yes.[/quote]
It needs to be clumped together. Spacing it too far won't work. Also I don't think yours will come back... it's possible, but a little unlikely. What're your humidity levels? Also are you misting 2 times daily? I grow a decent amount of moss. I prefer farming it when it's not on top of any media... also they grow vertically and they should be packed in such a way that's conducive to their proper growing nature. Image

By deleted user
tannerm wrote:

It needs to be clumped together. Spacing it too far won't work. Also I don't think yours will come back... it's possible, but a little unlikely. What're your humidity levels? Also are you misting 2 times daily? I grow a decent amount of moss. I prefer farming it when it's not on top of any media... also they grow vertically and they should be packed in such a way that's conducive to their proper growing nature. Image

I've recently bought some new live sphagnum and just put it in a bucket, keeping it moist. My greenhouse stays above 60% in day and over 80% at night, inside the propagator it will be over that.
By deleted user
roarke wrote:You misquote me.
I think it went weird when you didn't quote and just ended it.
By tannerm
rulen24 wrote:
tannerm wrote:

I've recently bought some new live sphagnum and just put it in a bucket, keeping it moist. My greenhouse stays above 60% in day and over 80% at night, inside the propagator it will be over that.
Wait do you not have good airflow. I have 3 fans running in my grow environment and one intake... proper airflow is very important

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!