FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Rammplins
Hello everyone! Ive been perusing the forum for about a month now learning everything i can about this plant with which i have recenly re-fallen in love with.

I picked up a king henry and akai ryu (both young adults) from the store, couldn't be happier at the condition they came in!

I'll post pics probably once or twice a week, comments, concerns, or any tips are greatly appreciated.ImageImageImageImage

And here they are about 1 week later
Last edited by Rammplins on Tue May 02, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammplins liked this
By boarderlib
Welcome fellow buckeye! Don't be surprised if that Akai Ryu starts throwing up deformed traps come mid to late summer this year. It'll be because of the heat. Just give it a little afternoon shade and all will be well.

Happy growing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Rammplins
Thanks! For future reference is it akai ryu specifically, or do we Ohioans need to be careful with all red's in the summer? ( I foresee many many more vft cultivars in my future)
By boarderlib
The reds in general attract more heat, because of the coloring. They grow fine just the traps are usually deformed once we get up to about 85+.

Yeah, definitely be careful. It's a very slippery slope with this hobby, two leads to three and it's downhill from there. Believe me it snowballs quick.

By Rammplins
Good to know about the reds. I'm planning on going slow, luckily I have a ton of patience so waiting isn't so bad. Definitely waiting to get something new after I have had sufficient success through 2 seasons at least; to learn the ropes of repotting, preferred media, along with getting a cutting or 2 to flower.
By boarderlib
That sounds like a great plan! Unfortunately I don't have that kind of self control. I have two big boxes of goodies waiting on me to get home. Lol.

By Rammplins
Can't wait till I have my own box of goodies! My king henry is looking fantastic, I didn't want to feed him quite yet, but the files had other ideas. my akai on the other hand is not doing too much, and has a small black spot on a forming trap. just making sure hes fine, guessing its just the remnants of transplant shock. as its been to cloudy for him to get burned I think

Here is a pic
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!