FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By jcroyle
Hey all I was considering putting my newly sprouted vft in an opaque plastic jug to get them more light but to also afford them some protection from wind, spring storms, and anything else that might decide that a seedling might make a good snack (namely a German shorthaired pointer named Mavis).

What do you think? If I keep the lid off it should be ok temp wise, thats my main concern. I know it works great for starting vegetable plants.

Anyone ever tried it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
I haven't tried, but I know if I did it here, it would get way too hot inside in direct sun, even with the lid off. It might work ok with the addition of more large holes though. If you know the temp is ok where you are, I don't see a problem as long as it has drainage.
By jcroyle
Temps are usually in the 60-70f during the day. Might get pretty warm I suppose. That is what is keeping me from trying it. Maybe I will put one out there with a thermometer in it and check it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
I think that's a good idea. I made a greenhouse for a tomato one winter out of two plastic storage boxes and the temperature outside was in the 30s but inside the box it was 105 without having it vented.

Edit: that might have been with a black cover over half of it. It was at least 90 inside without the cover.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!