FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Raistlarn
I have recently found myself in possession of a chest freezer. So I was wondering if I could use it to store a reservoir that pumps a 60-66% propylene glycol anti-freeze (non-toxic anti freeze) through a radiator inside the greenhouse. I will have a fan on the radiator blowing air from the greenhouse over it to chill the greenhouse. Here is a diagram of what I am planning to do.

The only real downsides I could think of is this will condense the water vapor(humidity) from the greenhouse and possibly freeze it to the radiator, it will possibly kill plants if it falls on them when ruuning and in the off chance the radiator or tubing leaks. The upside is if I'm pumping -20*F coolant into the radiator, and a layer of ice forms on it, I'll have an ice cube.

So what are your takes on this system.
Attachments:
cooling diagram.png
cooling diagram.png (13.85 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
By boarderlib
Other than the possibility of leaks, like you mentioned the only problem I really see is the temp drop in the line before the radiator. That line would probably need to be as short, and stout as possible, and very heavily insulated. You'll probably need to insulate the pump as well. I would think running a pump in a cold environment would cause excessive wear on the pump too.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By KategoricalKarnivore
Why mess with the antifreeze when you could just hook up a hose and blow the cold air into your setup. Use a small fan to blow the cold air up the tube or you may not even need a fan. Just hook up a feed tube and return tube. Just seems easier to me.
By FLTropical
There are easier, safer, and cheaper ways to cool your greenhouse. A fan of sufficient size, blowing through dripping water is commonly used in Florida.

Put the pump outside the freezer, with just a line going in.
By Raistlarn
Unfortunately my greenhouse is a 4 tier mini greenhouse so cooling options are a little limited due to space, especially if I wish to automate it.

I just searched terraforums and found someone was already using the radiator cooling system with great success.
By FLTropical
I'd think you could build and operate a miniature evaporative cooler for a lot less than this, and less chance you'll freeze your plants. I'd think a big computer fan, with a reservoir wicking water into a filter pad of some sort would work. Build it onto a wood frame, and put it in the backside top of your greenhouse. Either way, good luck!
By jcroyle
Put a big coil of hose in the fridge and circulate the water in a closed loop through a heater core from your local junk yard or auto parts store, and put the fans on the front pulling air through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!