FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By roelez
I found some black spot on my vft leaves , are they a black spot fungus ? Its definitely not an old trap .

Can someone advice me what should and what can i do ? Should i change the media ? I already bought a fungicide powder and spray them last night.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
What is your watering situation like? Quite often there is a problem at the rhizome with a leaf dying in the middle. If watering is okay, did you spray a pesticide or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cjpflaumer liked this
By xr280xr
It doesn't exactly look fungal but it could be. The first picture, especially, looks more like rot (of the rhizome). That would be surprising in LFS, but not impossible if kept very wet for too long.

Is that last plant a named cultivar? It's amazing!
By Kwient
By the look off it, you are keeping them to wet. Let the soil dry a little in between watering. Moist soil, not soaked.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
By roelez
Yeah probably because i using water tray and make it too wet ..
I just spraying some fungicide because i though it was a fungal infection .

Sooo would it be better if i let the moss dry and start to watering them again ? Should i refill the water tray or should i use a sprayer

@xr280xr its crazy cupped trap a long neck version of cupped trap

By Kwient
You can use the water tray, but dont let it filled with water all the time. How often do you water it now? Start with half of those times. Let it dry a little first before giving it again

By roelez
Once a week probably 1cm water high but sometimes i do spray them too when the weather is hot

By cjpflaumer
Yeah it probably needs to dry more in between waterings especially if these are indoors. Also spraying the plants while it's hot could burn leaves where the water drops are. I would stick to top watering if you can. Or tray water and then remove the tray a while later. I suspect these are indoor just based on what they look like. If they are outdoor then you definitely shouldn't spray them when it's hot. Flytraps have never really appreciated being sprayed unlike a nepenthes. That's my opinion. Hope it helps!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Kwient
Hmmm, that doesnt sound like too much water at all. Do you spray them while in the sun? That can be the problem?! Only spray them when in the shade.
Little dropplets can work as magnifying glass in the sun.

By Kwient
I had to look at your picture again. 1 cm of water in a large tray is a lot of water offcourse :).
Let the tray dry up and water them when the soil gets a little dry on top. Or top water them, when it is hot. It cools them too.
Dont think you Should spray them anymore.
Try giving them less water for a while and observe :)

By xr280xr
roelez wrote:Sooo would it be better if i let the moss dry and start to watering them again ? Should i refill the water tray or should i use a sprayer
I wouldn't use a sprayer. Tray is fine, you just, presumably, need to reduce the amount of water, and/or the frequency you're providing it. Don't let the moss dry completely. VFTs dehydrate extremely quickly and don't recover well from it. But you can let it begin to dry out. The smaller the pot, the harder it is to use the dryness on top as a sign of when to water because in a small pot, there's much less difference between moisture at the top of the pot and the bottom of the pot. I usually watch for the moss to start to look like it's getting dry, but I always depend on the weight of the pot as my signal for when to water. Try to only give them as much water as they can absorb over a few hours. I shoot for less than fully saturated media, but the most important thing is allowing them to breathe in between.
roelez wrote: @xr280xr its crazy cupped trap a long neck version of cupped trap
Sweet! I'd love to buy or trade you for one if you get any divisions later.
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!