FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sjohannes81
Hi! My son has had his flytraps for about four years now. They are doing very well. They're in a very deep container in pure sphagnum moss. They get full sun and rain water (or RODI).

The issue is that they come out of dormancy too early and then they'll take a major hit when they're finally put outside in the spring and this happens every year. I'm in a zone 5a. The flytraps will go into dormancy in October. Of course I keep an eye out for freezing night temps, but I try to keep them outside for as long as possible. Once it gets too cold out,I put them in my cool basement for the winter. I place them in a south facing window and reduce watering. I'd say that they stay in dormancy from November to the end of February. But as soon as March comes, boom! Flower stalks and huge broad leaves everywhere. I cut the stalks and realize that the broad leaves (with small traps) is an indicator that they need more light.

Problem is that it's still too cold where I live to put them outside. So they're basically wasting a ton of their stored energy on this. Then in April, I take them outside and all of those broad leaves get sunburned and die off quickly. I even put them in a shaded area initially. They typically recover quickly, but I can't help but think how much healthier they could be if they didn't take that spring hit.

I hoping for a solution. Feel free to ask me any questions if you think it could help you with an answer.
By uusa2000
Hey I'm having the same problem, they will start to wake up around feb-march, then the late frosts come and finish it off.

Since i cant produce the perfect thriving conditions during early spring. My plant rotted outside due to the weather switching back and forward from 60-70°f to 32°f every 3 days. I'm also in st. Louis(5a)..

I believe for our climate, we should try to keep the plants dormant(basement or fridge method) all the way until Easter!. And/or use artificial lightning, timing the lights to mimic longer days be fore you expose it outside. This st louis weather is not ideal during late winter & early spring to skeep them from being exposed to extreme temp changes.

This is just my hypothesis, i am new to this hobby. someone, feel free to correct me..

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Last edited by uusa2000 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
By KategoricalKarnivore
You could always do a fridge dormancy. When it gets warm enough take them out and put them outside.
By sjohannes81
I thought about fridge dormancy, but my son has 50+ plants and the container we use is a 120 qt Coleman cooler. It's way too big for the fridge and taking out all of those plants and placing them in bags to put into the fridge is too risky for me.

Sidenote: Using a cooler as a container is fantastic!
By idog24
If you have a garage that is unheated I would think that would work better at keeping them in dormancy than a basement. My vfts stay near a window in my garage and they stay dormant all the way until mid April. The temps get really cold in the garage but rarely go below freezing and if it does I take them in for the night.
By boarderlib
Even in the fridge they'll continue to grow very etoliated leaves, that will fry to a crisp in the sun. Once they've been dormant in a low light situation if you don't want the sun to fry them, you'll need to slowly acclimate them back to full sun.

I would just bring them in on the night's you get those late spring frosts, then back outside the next morning. I live in a similar climate to you, we almost always get a mid April frost. While I don't agree with moving these guys around, sometimes it's better for the plants overall health.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By sjohannes81
My garage isn't an option in January unless I heat it. The temp in there can get as low as 20 F in the coldest part of the winter. I'm wondering if I could keep it in the basement for most of the winter and transfer it to the garage in mid-February.

That way, it will stay cooler for longer and maybe delay dormancy until April. I just feel like the plants expend most of their energy on all these leaves that die from being sunburned.
By Branmuffin
If the absolute lowest you get is 20f in the garage you will be fine, but I think your current system is probably best. I am forced to mulch my plants during the worst part of the winter so I deal with the broad leaves also, it's just part of the game growing a plant like this outside its natural habitat
By uusa2000
sjohannes81 wrote:
How does your cooler method work?

By Nick
uusa2000 wrote:
sjohannes81 wrote:
How does your cooler method work?

Instead of a traditional pot, he uses a cooler. As long as it has a drain spout I think it's a great idea especially in hotter areas.

Extended freezes are bad because the roots cannot take in water. An overnight dip to the low 30s or 20s shouldn't harm a healthy plant. I've seen healthy plants buried in snow without consequence.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!