FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Teddy545
Are you supposed to mix sand in with the LFSM? Do you have to wash the better grow LFSM? Can I use the 100% crushed quartz stone granules from the craft store? I was thinking of putting sand on the top of the moss to prevent gnats anyway.
By Nick
You don't have to add sand to LFSM as it drains pretty well on its own, but some folks do. A top dressing is perfectly fine as well. Since crushed quartz is chemically the same as silica sand, it should be inert and safe for your plants.

Always rinse new media and, if possible, test the runoff with a TDS meter to be sure there aren't minerals sticking around.
Nick liked this
By nimbulan
I've never tried it but I wouldn't think LFS would mix very well with sand. It's better to use something larger like perlite, pumice, orchid bark, etc. It all depends on what plant you're using it for though.
nimbulan liked this
By Teddy545
I want to use it for a flytrap, the 1 I had just rotted and died recently. I don't know what I'm doing, lol.
By Smooter80
100% LFSM is fine for VFTs. Rotting isn't from the media and is usually an indoor plant issue. Keep you VFTs outside in full sun (if possible) and rotting is extremely rare IME.
Smooter80 liked this
By Branmuffin
If you pot drains, it really shouldn't rot. I have never had a plant rot, indoors or out. Most rotting is due to disease or bad conditions.
Branmuffin liked this
By Nick
Teddy545 wrote:I want to use it for a flytrap, the 1 I had just rotted and died recently. I don't know what I'm doing, lol.
From the looks of your other posts, I would blame the Mosser Lee sphagnum. It is pretty terrible. I would go with some New Zealand LFSM from a reputable source.
Nick liked this
By Teddy545
It's been really dark and rainy here. I just read that you're not supposed to water them In the middle of the plant, I was doing that too.
By Nick
Watering in the middle of the plant is fine. However, if it has been rainy you will not need to add additional water. Many folks overshoot it with watering when first starting out. I definitely did, and I had to start over from scratch.

Try to find good pictures of healthy Venus flytraps that other users have posted and take a look at their media. Unless they just watered, the top layer looks basically dry, which can be unsettling at first. In addition, algae growth can be indicative of excess water and potentially not enough light.
Nick liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!