FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Nandi
I ordered some VFT as forma typica from a local store, but one of them is different. It looks like dentata a little bit or sawtooth idk. Hard to see in the picture but all of the traps are like that.
Attachments:
IMG_20170413_173515.jpg
IMG_20170413_173515.jpg (406.34 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
By bijillon
If you bought it without Id you can never call it a culitvar, it's a typical but a very pretty one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By idog24
I do not believe this is a typical! Although it is hard to say exactly what it is. A typical has 'typical' characteristics or phenotypes. The short fused cilia is not a typical phenotype. Maybe Matt can identify it for you.
By Matt
It could have been a named clone that lost a tag or it could be a seed-grown flytrap that has the "sawtooth" characteristic. Though it looks like not all traps exhibit the trait?

Impossible to say for sure now though what it is if it didn't come with a label....
By Smooter80
idog24 wrote:A typical has 'typical' characteristics or phenotypes.
Typical is the term used for any unlabeled VFT. No tag=typical. It doesn't matter if it has 5 blue traps on every leaf, it's still a typical. It's not a discriptive term as typicals can be very atypical looking. Not the best term IMO but it's name used.
By Nandi
Matt wrote:It could have been a named clone that lost a tag or it could be a seed-grown flytrap that has the "sawtooth" characteristic. Though it looks like not all traps exhibit the trait?

Impossible to say for sure now though what it is if it didn't come with a label....
All traps are like that. It just looks different in the picture. But they all aren't regular. Thanks for the answers.
By Fishkeeper
Yep. If it didn't come with a name, it's a "typical", no matter what it looks like.
By idog24
I am talking from an owners perspective not from a buyers perspective. What you are saying only applies if this person wishes to sell their plant!! To sell a plant without a tag must be sold as a typical. However your plant will have a genetic make-up that associates with a known cultivar. Please be aware that having a tag or not will not affect the genetics of your plant.
By boarderlib
idog24 wrote:I am talking from an owners perspective not from a buyers perspective. What you are saying only applies if this person wishes to sell their plant!! To sell a plant without a tag must be sold as a typical. However your plant will have a genetic make-up that associates with a known cultivar. Please be aware that having a tag or not will not affect the genetics of your plant.
Owner/ seller/ buyer does not matter, a typical is a typical regardless of what traits the plant may or may not possess. Unless it is an exact genetic match to a cultivar it is a typical. If it has an unknown history it is a typical, plain and simple. I have fused tooth x fused tooth seedlings growing that show fusing, that does not make it a fused tooth. They are typicals, and will be labeled that way, regardless of how much fusing they show. Even if they exactly match my Fused Tooth sitting on my deck right now.

By trying to label an unlabeled plant you are muddying up the gene pool. Thereby making it hard to sort through the bs for true collectors. This also makes a really great, relaxing hobby extremely aggravating.

Cultivars come from typicals. One typical will be selected for a specific trait. In some cases multiple traits will be bred into a plant just so it can be named as a cultivar. Your typical plant does not necessarily contain a cultivars genetics, but your cultivar definitely contains a typicals genetics.

Nandi wrote:I ordered some VFT as forma typica from a local store, but one of them is different. It looks like dentata a little bit or sawtooth idk. Hard to see in the picture but all of the traps are like that.
From the pic it's kind of hard to tell but I don't see two traps on there with the same teeth. It is a veritable smorgasbord of of differences from what I can see.

One other thing to note is some fly traps will display different characteristics through the different growing seasons. I think that may be what's going on here, depending on where in the world you are it may be in between seasons. I'm just starting spring at my place, and I mean only a few plants waking up. No fly traps are awake yet.Image

Who knows maybe it'll become a cultivar though, that's the fun in growing typicals. Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By idog24
[By trying to label an unlabeled plant you are muddying up the gene pool. Thereby making it hard to sort through the bs for true collectors. This also makes a really great, relaxing hobby extremely aggravating.]
This only happens when the plant is distributed back into the market mislabelled. If the owner wishes to know what cultivar their plant most closely associates with, or possibly what the plant cultivar actually is, the question may be answered with no possible consequence to cultivation market if kept from distribution (selling).
By Smooter80
I think Matt already answered the question quite well. It's a typical with some possible type of sawtooth trait.

I think you are getting hung up on the word typical. It's not a discriptive word or a set of defined traits. When you wrote "A typical has 'typical' characteristics or phenotypes.", it shows you're not understanding the term.

I have several "Pot of Baby Flytraps" from FTS. I'm fairly sure there are several that once could have been called cultivars in those pots but to me, they are now typicals. Call your personal plants whatever you like. Trying to assign it a cultivar name is not acceptable in the CP community.
By xr280xr
Smooter80 wrote:Typical is the term used for any unlabeled VFT. No tag=typical. It doesn't matter if it has 5 blue traps on every leaf, it's still a typical. It's not a discriptive term as typicals can be very atypical looking. Not the best term IMO but it's name used.
"Unnamed" or "unidentified" might be a better term.
By boarderlib
idog24 wrote:[By trying to label an unlabeled plant you are muddying up the gene pool. Thereby making it hard to sort through the bs for true collectors. This also makes a really great, relaxing hobby extremely aggravating.]
This only happens when the plant is distributed back into the market mislabelled. If the owner wishes to know what cultivar their plant most closely associates with, or possibly what the plant cultivar actually is, the question may be answered with no possible consequence to cultivation market if kept from distribution (selling).
Yeah because the plant, or its divisions or off spring will never end up back in circulation. It's not like most of us haven't given away or sold multiple plants. Things happen and people forget. If you think for one minute that two years down the road you'll remember that plant is a typical when it's been labeled as something else for the last two years you're sadly mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!