FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
about half a year ago i bought a hanging basket with two mature N. alata, they had a decent size, both about 8 inch tall.
i split them up and put one in my terrarium and one inside a basket on my window sill. the one inside the terrarium is being kept at +/- 70% humidity and 68℉ all day long, while the one in the window sill is being kept at +/- 40-50% humidity during the day and 60% during the night and at a temperature of 53℉-72℉.

and now the problem im facing is that the one inside the terrarium is doing really good and is growing one giant pitcher after another, while the other one has lost all its pitchers because it had to adjust. but even after all those months it still hasnt made a new pitcher, well actually it did but the pitchers dry out and die before they can even get 1/3 of an inch tall.

does someone know what might cause this to happen? if the humidity were too low it wouldnt produce any pitchers at all right?

By tannerm
I think it's simple: the humidity is too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
That plant should still be able to produce pitchers at 10% humidity, so I really doubt that's the problem. While additional humidity may help the plant produce pitchers, it won't address the underlying problem. My experience has been that pitcher production problems are most commonly due to inadequate light, though it can also result from letting the soil dry out too much between watering, bad soil, or even temperature.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!