FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cjpflaumer
Hey guys, after seeing the new leaf on my lowii start to slightly discolor after knowing it has for sure had proper conditions I got out the magnifying glass and I see red spider mites. I have bayer 3 in 1 that I use on my flytraps and sarracenia safely. Should I try this? I also have spinosad. I've seen people say Spinosad and could try neem. I will get whatever I need. Also saw just rubbing alcohol. I greatly appreciate any help. I always open the window at night in the room but I guess that was not good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
Obviously pretty hard to see but it moved all over the plant while I was watching. I found at least 3 more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By tzestan
I have the same problem from time to time. This spider mites do not produce web. Though they are not many. About 20 per plant is enough to cause damage. They prefer a few nep species more than others.

I removed them using wet cotton bud twice a week on small plants. Luckily not many to remove. Alcohol did not help much and caused young leaf damage. I tried a few neem oil based pesticides. Seems to take effect after a few weeks of daily spray. Once the mite number is under control, the plants recovered fairly quickly.
By cjpflaumer
Thank you for the reply. I can try to just wipe them off I just was worried they would outbreed my efforts. I see you're in Malaysia so they probably don't have Bayer 3 in 1 there I'm sure. I had great results with it on flytraps that had spider mites but I do not want to kill my Lowii with insecticide! Again thank you and I will try to just clean them and go get some neem oil.
By tzestan
At the peak of infestation, this plant looked really sad.
At the peak of infestation.
At the peak of infestation.
Camp_071116.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
After having the mites removed, it took 6 months to recover into this state. It is the same plant.
After recovery.
After recovery.
Camp_071116_2.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Don't give up as long as the plant is growing.:)

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!