FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By taylerhill
I've been browsing this thread and seeing that most of you like to use plain square plastic pots. I currently have most of mine in the original FTS pots, but one of them I divided and repotted into a styrofoam cup with drainage and a glazed ceramic pot with drainage. I like the look of decorative or painted pots. Before I repotted mine I posted a picture of my ceramic pot to be sure it would work, and everyone said it would. So my question is, for those of you who like the plastic ones, why do you like those better? Do they have a benefit over glazed ceramic? Just being curious here for any future repotting I may need to do :)
By Nick
taylerhill wrote:I've been browsing this thread and seeing that most of you like to use plain square plastic pots. I currently have most of mine in the original FTS pots, but one of them I divided and repotted into a styrofoam cup with drainage and a glazed ceramic pot with drainage. I like the look of decorative or painted pots. Before I repotted mine I posted a picture of my ceramic pot to be sure it would work, and everyone said it would. So my question is, for those of you who like the plastic ones, why do you like those better? Do they have a benefit over glazed ceramic? Just being curious here for any future repotting I may need to do :)
Many go with plastic due to the low cost and virtual certainty that it will not leech anything into the soil or degrade over time.

Glazed ceramic can work as long as it has good drainage and the glaze is completely unbroken. I tried with some glazed African Violet type pots a few years ago and they did not have good enough drainage and were more of a hassle.

I have a bunch of plants in FTS cups, and styrofoam for the random few I've rescued from other places. I drew some sweet A lightning bolts on the styrofoam cups, so that satisfied me :lol:
Nick liked this
By cjpflaumer
Square plastic pots are great because they fill up a 10 20 tray perfectly, or if not in a tray they just fit together better than round pots. So more plants in the same size area. I have a mixture of both though still haha.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!