FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Yesterday, I cut two walls each off of four square plastic flowerpots and assembled them into one large pot. I attached them together with thin smears of silicone, specifically GE I. If I stick my face into the flowerpot, I can no longer detect any sort of silicone smell, and I have a very sensitive nose.
Does this mean that the silicone is cured enough for me to add water and plants? It's been about 30 hours, and I only used small amounts of silicone. The pot has been sitting, uncovered, at roughly standard room temperature, if that makes a difference.
By bijillon
Yes, most silicone for full fish tanks cure in 24 hours

Wants:
Pinguiculas
Nepenthes!
By cjpflaumer
Usually says on the tube the full curing time. Can you find that information anywhere? I would think 24 hours is sufficient, which you already passed that mark.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
The tube says it should cure in 24 hours, but I'm not sure if the tube's definition of cured and the plant's definition of cured are the same. I'd rather not poison everything in the pot, and I know some aquarium forums say 48 hours for a full cure. Not sure if that's just for thicker beads, though.
By steve booth
If you can't smell the curing smell you are safe, fish are a lot more sensitive to the silicone than plants so 24 hours will be ok
Cheers
Steve
By Aozora
24 to 48 hours, depending on the humidity and temparature of the room youre keeping it in

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!