FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
I want to order my media, What are the best quality brands? I don't want premixed soil either. I've heard of NZ LFSM. What companies has quality perlite, peat & sand? I want a good start for my new plants

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By erikHIplants
There is no single good answer for that. People seem to find different brands depending on locale.

I think that ordering media is one of the more expensive options, but then again that's because I live on an island and shipping costs are abhorrent.

Personally I would check out your local hardware/garden center to see what they have.

Currently use: better-gro orchid moss for LFSM (Lowes), generic industrial #12 silica sand from a construction supply store, Premier sphagnum peat moss (Lowes), Vigoro perlite (Home Depot).

On the plus side, getting it from a local store means you don't have to wait for shipping :)
By Nick
I cannot repeat enough how well the NZ LFSM works from the FlytrapStore. You don't have to worry about ratios of peat/sand/perlite, you don't have to worry about TDS since it comes from an established seller, it holds water well, yet helps prevent waterlogging, and it doesn't add extra damage to dwindling peat bogs.

I have found it so much easier to use than other mixes.
By xr280xr
I haven't found a brand of perlite that is bad. Perlite is perlite as long as it's not fertilized. The best moss brands I've used is FTS NZ Sphagnum, BetterGro, Fertilome.

Lots of people have vouched for Premier peat moss, but I have yet to plant anything in it that has lived CP or non-CP.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!