FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
so, I was at WallyWorld and saw they had Lithops for sale. these are pretty cool looking plants! I picked up 4 lol. but what do you plant them in exactly? it says to use cactus soil but I'm wondering if regular peat with a bit more sand or perlite (or both) for drainage would be good? anyone else on here grow them? and those that do grow them do you have any advice for a first-timer lol? thanks in advance! I'll probably post pics later!!!
By Adelaide
Good luck, I've gotten several over the years and killed them all. My advice would be to never water them at all. They all died after gave them any water.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Earthy
Adelaide wrote:Good luck, I've gotten several over the years and killed them all. My advice would be to never water them at all. They all died after gave them any water.

from what I read they have 4 "watering seasons" lol...2 with no water and 2 with water (but watered sparingly)
By Adelaide
Yep, I read about their water schedules too.

By twitterglitter
Hi, I new to the forum's and cp's, but I have been growing succulents for years. You can use 50/50 potting soil and sand or get some cactus soil. When you first repot them wait for about a week to water them for the first time. Make sure that the pot you choose has really good drainage since lithops rot easily when in too much water.
Peat will hold too much water. Let the soil dry completely in between waterings. They love tons of sun. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
twitterglitter liked this
By Fishkeeper
I keep mine near my CPs so that they have a lot of light and get the occasional very light accidental misting. I give them water very rarely when they aren't growing their new leaves, just little sprinkles.
They're nearly impossible to under-water. If you see one wrinkling and 'deflating', water it. Other than that, if you aren't sure, don't water it.
Fishkeeper liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Haha. I just bought one at Wallyworld about a week ago. I watered it since the soil was completely dry. I can tell it's growing already. Getting taller. I hope I can keep it alive.
Attachments:
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG (586.74 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
By Fishkeeper
Those lithops (there's 3 single plants) are growing new leaves. They'll reabsorb the moisture from the wrinkling old leaves, and therefore they should not be watered at all until those old leaves are completely dry and gone. Lithops don't have a 'stop' button for water absorption- if they're overwatered, they'll burst. Don't worry about under-watering unless the new, center leaves are starting to wrinkle- they're from South Africa, they're hard to kill from lack of water.
Fishkeeper, Fishkeeper liked this
By Earthy
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Haha. I just bought one at Wallyworld about a week ago. I watered it since the soil was completely dry. I can tell it's growing already. Getting taller. I hope I can keep it alive.
dang you got a nice pot lol...mine are all single. I'll look at getting some cactus mix; a nursery in a town near me sells it but are out lol...
By Sakaaaaa
May I ask, how long do seeds take to germinate? I plan to do a succulent haul which includes lithops seeds sometime.

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!