FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Joe Leverre
So I jumped the gun taking plants out of dormancy figuring the nice weather was here after a nice week. Almost as soon as I brought them in from my garage we got hit with another cold snap (as I live in Canada the temperature is still hovering around -7C daily/19F) still too cold for outside, and with sucky window placement there is nowhere that gets more than 4hrs sun without me moving the pot around all day.

Down to business though I decided to make an artificial light setup to keep my little guys happy till things warm up. After a week or so the leaves are starting to discolour- turning orange then reddish brown, and I'm unsure if they're being cooked or perhaps worse some sort of rot
Almost full discolouration of one stem and starting to show on the rest.
Almost full discolouration of one stem and starting to show on the rest.
IMG_0085.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2073 times
. The medium is 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and perlite, I tray water about once a week with distilled when the first inch soil on top is almost dry. They are getting between 11-13hrs a day of light, fluorescent bulb 6500k and 1200(?) lumens. I did have another light that I put it under as well just because I had an extra cord but that one put out a lot of heat and I figured the benefits of it were negligible and removed it after some time. The second light was 23W 2700k 1600 lumen fluorescent and I had it on the plants in unison with the first lamp for about 3 or 4 days.

So the problem is that I can't read the signs my little guys are showing. My mind goes to worst case scenario that they're in trouble. Are they too hot? Cooking maybe? Or just getting tanned? I want to keep them as happy as possible, been trying to make everything perfect so far. Any help or opinions are appreciated, thanks all :)
Attachments:
Not so much on this one, less affected than the other plant.
Not so much on this one, less affected than the other plant.
IMG_0087.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2073 times
The full setup.
The full setup.
IMG_0084.JPG (633.63 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
By Nick
Joe Leverre wrote:Should I do anything as a precaution yet, or do you think will they adjust? And thanks for the help!
They should adjust without issue. You may see this coloration arise again after putting them outside once the weather allows for it.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!