FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By kayetorio
Hey fellow growers, so I just got my first live sphagnum but don't know what to do with it.

- Do I soak it in distilled water first before using as a media, and for how long?

- Do I also remove the brown moss, or will they grow/rehydrate into its full glory?

- How will I store and grow the excess sphagnum moss?

*Additionl tips will be appreciated, thanks so much!

Also, I just got my VFTs from the mail, I usually buy mine already potted, and this is my first time to get plants from the mail.

I will soak them in distilled water and planning to pot them in rehydrated (dried) sphag moss then dressed with live sphag moss, or is it okay to use 100% Live sphag moss as media already?

I also have peat QS I bought from carnivoria.eu. What media do you guys recommend I use? Peat or Live sphag?

I will then keep them shaded and wait for new growth until I expose them to sun light?

Did I plan everything right, orrrr?
Attachments:
VFTs, fresh from mail
VFTs, fresh from mail
IMG_0466.JPG (604.48 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Peat from carnivoria.eu
Peat from carnivoria.eu
IMG_0465.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1861 times
Live sphag moss, fresh from mail
Live sphag moss, fresh from mail
IMG_0464.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1861 times
By nimbulan
To grow Sphagnum, just stick it in any container and keep it consistently moist - don't let it dry out but don't keep it waterlogged. I wouldn't recommend a sealed container myself since it doesn't seem to stay very healthy with no air flow. It can grow at lower humidity if the growth heads are packed close enough together.
nimbulan liked this
By kayetorio
nimbulan wrote:To grow Sphagnum, just stick it in any container and keep it consistently moist - don't let it dry out but don't keep it waterlogged. I wouldn't recommend a sealed container myself since it doesn't seem to stay very healthy with no air flow. It can grow at lower humidity if the growth heads are packed close enough together.
Alright! Do I have to separate the browned strands or just let them be?
By Fishkeeper
Browned strands will probably revive. If not, they'll provide substrate for the others.
By Aozora
also make sure to give them plenty of light (sunlight is the best) so they wont grow so long and tringy.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!