FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jwalker
Seems to be a lot of questions about dormancy every year. So I thought I would share with you the method I just used this last year.

I basically put all my plants in a big plastic tot with out any water in it. And put that tot in my little half shed by Rubbermaid. This shed is by no means sealed up at all in fact the is about a 2 inch crack were the wall is separating. Anyway that's really about it. I check on them every couple weeks and water them my be 3 times all winter.

I think the biggest problem people have with dormancy is they put there plants away before they are dormant because they are afraid of them getting cold. I've done that the 2 previous years. They can handle way colder temperatures then you think. This year I waited till close to thanks giving. The plants tell you when there dormant with the way they grow leaves with sarracenia they start growing sword shaped leaves. With drosera all the sticky leaves die back to the ground and with flytraps they slow way down and shrink in size.

Well anyway I hop this helps someone. I tried to make this as clear and simple with out any technical talk.

If anyone has any other tips or tricks please chime in.

By bgplantgeek
This is very helpful, it is very reassuring to be reminded that these plants are pretty resilient
By jwalker
Forgot to add that I'm in zone 6b it easily gets to 20 degrees.
By francisfaustino
We live in zone 7b and I just left the plants outside for the most part. I did get uneasy every time the temperatures fell below 32F, and indeed, the pots froze solid on at least one occasion when the temperatures were below 20F for a week. I do put them inside a box (still left outside) every time night temperatures fall below 32F. I did bring them inside a number of nights when the temps did not go above 32F for a week even during daytime. Even if the plants spend the night inside the house, I make sure that I bring them back out the next morning/afternoon.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!