FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
I just got my seed grown Nepenthes Red Hairy Hamata, and I'm BEYOND EXCITED! The following pictures will be of my unblocking/repotting (captioned). I also figured this would be a good place to do updates every so often, if anyone is interested.

Merry Christmas!!!

Did someone order coffee? I thought it was a RHH!

That's better... a pile of moss Image

Moss removed, baby RHH partially uprooted? The HORROR!

Ah, much better (root - there was really only one - rinsed, clean media, different pot)

Time for your closeup!
Say hello to your new home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by tannerm on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:I'm surprised someone would sell a Nep that small. Good luck, you'll need it!
I may be exaggerating just a tad, here's a picture of a red hairy of comparable size: Image

By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Ok that looks more like a typical 1" seedling sale size.
More or less, yeah. I mean. I'm hopeful it's at least that big (the guy said it was), but we'll see! Either way I stared with a Lowii about that size and it's doing very well :)

By tannerm
Sorry for the delay guys, here's the latest:

So I actually had to repot it for two reasons #1 the media started to get slimy and it was too far recessed in the dead LFS (don't know how it happened) and #2 because it was in a much smaller pot, and all my other plants were surrounding it, the airflow was significantly reduced and it started to show initial signs of a potential mold problem.

Here are a few pics:

ImageImageImage

Surrounded it with some red LFS, a species that grows much slower than the green stuff around that, also ensured that it was raised up.

Plant looks a little lame because I took precautionary measures due to the aforementioned potential problem (i.e. I cut off 2 leaves and a pitcher). HOWEVER, check out the massive roots (relative to plant size) and compare against the first picture I posted, literally it only had 1 tiny, tiny main root back in September. I'm pretty sure this is a sign that the plant will have no problem bouncing back. Hopefully with the increased airflow it'll grow much quicker.

1 more note too: the leaves are actually bigger than they were when I got it (by a fair bit), but it's hard to tell because of perspective.

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!