FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By appronny
Hello i have a question about clones like b 12 gigant or other clones if heard that clones will get a normal venusflytrap after some time but is this true or clones lose theyr Special ability after somtime?
By Nick
appronny wrote:Hello i have a question about clones like b 12 gigant or other clones if heard that clones will get a normal venusflytrap after some time but is this true or clones lose theyr Special ability after somtime?
No. A true clone will always display the traits of its respective cultivar as long as it remains healthy. It will have identical DNA to the originator of the cultivar as it can only be acquired through leaf cuttings or divisions from the mother plant.

Some growers will self-pollinate a cultivar such as B52 and try to sell the seeds as B52 seeds. However, these are actually B52xB52 seeds and not true clones. They may display some or all of the desirable traits as a true B52, but it is not genetically identical. Do enough of these crosses, and you'll eventually end up with a typical looking VFT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By jwalker
I think op means like fuzzy tooth the teeth don't always fuse together.
By Nick
jwalker wrote:I think op means like fuzzy tooth the teeth don't always fuse together.
That is also definitely a possibility. Some of the weirder cultivars express their notable traits only during certain periods of their growth cycles.
By bgplantgeek
Yes, it is very possible for a plant to revert. Many of the cultivars that are currently available were derived from seed: ie sexual reproduction leads to offspring with a genetic mix that is different (and sometimes favorable) to its parents, and then those selected specimens are named and asexually reproduced as clones.

That being said, plants do spontaneously mutate (think about chimeras) and thus it is very possible to have a cloned plant that displays different characteristics than its parents regardless of growing conditions.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!