FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
Is pond water CP-safe?? Because I think some pond water splashed onto my utric :? What should I do?!
By Grey
I wouldn't worry if pond water splashed your utric, I'm sure it'll be fine. A single exposure won't do any harm, and some aquatic utrics are very successfully grown in aquariums (which can have nutrient dense water). If you are concerned, though, give it a good top-watering with some pure water and empty the drained fluid away.

Pond water, generally though, will likely be too high in dissolved minerals to be safe for regular use with most carnivorous plants. If it's a vernal pool, however, it may be safe (vernal pools are often temporary bodies of water that are formed when there's a lot of rainfall; they have their own micro-ecosystems though and can be fragile so I don't recommend harvesting them... they're usually in very specific locations though so I wouldn't worry about it, I just like talking about them).
By Sakaaaaa
Grey wrote:I wouldn't worry if pond water splashed your utric, I'm sure it'll be fine. A single exposure won't do any harm, and some aquatic utrics are very successfully grown in aquariums (which can have nutrient dense water). If you are concerned, though, give it a good top-watering with some pure water and empty the drained fluid away.
Aaaaaaah good. I hope I wont lose another genus! I just washed it down with RO and made tiny drainage holes. The pot is pretty small though, so "some" pond water is pretty much 2/3 of the pot. Am I worrying to much? The pond is just a big square hole with fish and plants and snails... I might try putting some utrics there once I have lots..
By Sakaaaaa
Grey wrote:What species is the plant? If the water has drained out and you've top-watered with RO then I honestly wouldn't worry.
Utricularia Calycifida "Asenath Waite"
By Sakaaaaa
Grey wrote:That's a gorgeous plant! Have you seen any side-effects at all? I honestly think it will be fine.
A shoot's growth was stunted for a day but thats it.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!