FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cory
I used to have problems with my cat laying in my large pots.
I put some small wooden dowels vertically in the pots and the problem was solved.
I have also used double sided tape or just duct tape with the sticky side up.
Cats get quite grumpy about things being stuck to their feet.

My cat stays out of my big pots and off my tables now.

Problem solved
By Maiden
We must protect our plants without hurting our lil hairballs.
I have 100+ plants here, and 3 cats. And if i had to chose, i will throw my plants away without any hesitation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
By Cory
Maiden wrote:We must protect our plants without hurting our lil hairballs.
I have 100+ plants here, and 3 cats. And if i had to chose, i will throw my plants away without any hesitation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I agree however I have found ways to achieve both with no harm to either.
My cat never even comes close to bothering anything anymore.
Neither do my dogs.
My house looks like a jungle lol
By mnwatson1
It's amazing how each cat reacts to plants. My current two couldn't care less when I brought my Darlingtonia in for the winter, except they wanted to drink from the pot's saucer and nibble the moss occasionally. I've had cats in the past though that ate any plant they could get to.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
By Cleo_13
They only do it at night, so I never catch them. Luckily, they haven't touched them in a couple nights, as I've been sick and haven't been able to carry out the stick idea. I also hope to carry out the cage idea.
By Cleo_13
Very interesting. My most damaged two fly traps, Maria and Beatrix, are both sending up flower stalks. I'll cut them off as soon as possible, but at least that means they are still growing.
By jwbates26
Cleo_13 wrote:re both sending up flower stalks
This is the time of year when flytraps start sending up flowers.

Just a side note...Sometimes plants send up flower stalks when they aren't doing well so they can pass on their genetics one last time before the plant kicks the bucket to ensure their survival by using its last bit of energy to produce seeds. Not saying your flytraps are to this point. I just wanted to let you know sometimes flower stalks aren't the best way to tell if a plant is healthy.

Flytraps are a tough little plant. As long as they don't dry out or rot they usually always make a comeback as long as the growing conditions are right.

When you cut the stalks off plants they in some sphagnum and see if they'll strike.
jwbates26 liked this
By Cleo_13
Eek! Okay, I'm really going to make sure they get cut off then. They are only about a centimeter long though, so is it still possible to get a strike from a flower stalk that small? If not, I'll just toss them (the flower stalks, not the plants).
By jwbates26
Cleo_13 wrote:Eek! Okay, I'm really going to make sure they get cut off then. They are only about a centimeter long though, so is it still possible to get a strike from a flower stalk that small? If not, I'll just toss them (the flower stalks, not the plants).
lol I wouldn't worry to much. Like I said this is the time flytraps will flower especially if getting natural lights inside where its warmer which yours are. If you are wanting to try a stalk cutting I'd let it grow a little more before cutting it, but if you don't care then go ahead and cut them off now. Either way you can stick what you get into the moss and see what you get.
By bob21801
And you know what they say - "what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger". I find that to really be true with plants. It brings to mind a young grape vine that my dog ate down to the ground 3 times and it was also run over by a guys pickup. That was during the first couple years I had the vine. Last year (just a couple years later) it gave me loads of grapes.
By Fishkeeper
My cats don't care about the plants except for the water, but one of them keeps walking on my VFTs (which are dormant and very flat ATM, to be fair) and pushing them down into the moss. I rearranged things so the cat can walk up to the windowsill without stepping on the plants, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to put fork tines all through the pots so he won't walk there.

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!