FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Tarzanus
I have started growing VFTs from seeds and I just gave some beta fish food to one of my seedlings. It was the first trap that opened. It closed slowly and it remained closed. Now the waiting if it worked. :)

When do you start feeding them? Do you jump right onto it and feed the first trap that emerges or wait for them to push out a few.
By Earthy
I paint mine until they get big enough for me to "help" them seal the trap by massaging the closed trap lol.
By Tarzanus
I am doing the same massaging. They like it.
I used a tiny bamboo leaf sheath that fell off my bamboo seedling On the pointy end, I used scissors to cut diagonally to make the end sharp and pointy. That way, I can load a tiny amount of food on it. The other side has small bristles. I use those to poke (well, scratch is better word) the trap gently from both sides. None of them opened prematurely. :D

Since these are actually their first traps, I wouldn't be able to do anything using regular toothpick. They are just so tiny. :)
By Tarzanus
Here's how and what I feed them :lol:

My seedlings are now 1 month old. They are this big :)
Look at the monstrous plant on the right!! These traps are scary. :D

The VFT I have fed the first has now 3 fully developed traps and many more in the making. Today it's 1 month after they sprouted. I think they grow quite fast.
Tarzanus liked this
By Tarzanus
I'm feeding them. I keep them open for 3 days or so, just to make sure they get wide open and so that there are five traps or so to feed at the same time. I feed them once every week or so.
Most of them opened another trap in 3 days after the previous post. Sadly, none of them larger than traps it already had before. Their size will increase, sooner or later :)
By Dion
I have able to grow vft from seed but they are really small to try to feed. What do you feed them other than rain/distilled water since their traps are so tiny and hardly open?
Attachments:
F37633DA-18AC-43CF-B087-4F0AB8318B42.jpeg
F37633DA-18AC-43CF-B087-4F0AB8318B42.jpeg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
By Coco
I haven’t grown vft’s from seeds yet but from propagated leaf pullings, I dose them with diluted Maxsea the moment I transfer them with about two tiny traps. Results have been promising so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!