FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Tarzanus
Here are two of my Drosera capensis 'Alba' seedlings. They were growing in no-light position under dense layer of other, larger Drosera seedlings. They have had no traps at first when I noticed them. Then I placed two of them into separate pots with other seedlings so they can finally get full light exposure. At first, they had no traps, only leaves like most of the leaves on the photo. The stem was elongated and now they started growing new buds on the stem beside the growing point. Well, it looks that this is how they grow in extremely low light. :lol: Look like some kind of vine forming drosera.
d-capensis-stunted1.jpg
d-capensis-stunted1.jpg (175.02 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
d-capensis-stunted.jpg
d-capensis-stunted.jpg (160.89 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
By Shadowtski
Tarzanus wrote: Well, it looks that this is how they grow in extremely low light. :lol: Look like some kind of vine forming drosera.
This is called etiolation. The plant is making a desperate run trying to find enough light to survive. If the spacing between leaf nodes is more than normal, you need to increase your light. Your plants will thank you for it.

Good growing,
Mike
By Tarzanus
I know it is etiolation, it just fascinates me how they can put out lateral shoots. I didn't see that on any of my Drosera capensis that receives enough light.
I have plenty of light, these poor seedlings were growing (germinated) too slow and got caught in a dense layer of dead old used leaves of their fast growing siblings. I would not even know they were there if I wouldn't take out a few of large ones from that pot. Dead leaf matter in an overcrowded pot stacks quite similar like moss.

Poslano z mojega HUAWEI P6-U06 z uporabo Tapatalk

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!