FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By steve booth
Personally I wouldn't bother with the plant pot, it seems to serve little purpose other than to take up valuable space in such a small container, you can top water just as easily. I use a small piece of 20mm pipe stuck into the container to monitor the water levels and water as necessary.

The container they used was shallow (5") and not particularly large in diameter so will require a lot more watering in dry spells. I would use larger and deeper containers and insert plugged drains in the side, located at the bottom, one third and two thirds up so you can control the water levels, especially useful in winter if you grow outside all year round.

Cheers
Steve
By Sakaaaaa
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Thanks it inspired meImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
What's that? Rosemary?
By Branmuffin
steve booth wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother with the plant pot, it seems to serve little purpose other than to take up valuable space in such a small container, you can top water just as easily. I use a small piece of 20mm pipe stuck into the container to monitor the water levels and water as necessary.

The container they used was shallow (5") and not particularly large in diameter so will require a lot more watering in dry spells. I would use larger and deeper containers and insert plugged drains in the side, located at the bottom, one third and two thirds up so you can control the water levels, especially useful in winter if you grow outside all year round.

Cheers
Steve
Any suggestions for what can be used for a plug? I made 2, 16x16 inch mini bogs this weekend but haven't found a good solution for a plug to control water level. I don't want to use a valve, would prefer just a plug that I can pop in and out to change/ adjusts water as needed.
By PiranhaPlanter1
Sakaaaaa wrote:
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Thanks it inspired meImage

What's that? Rosemary?
No it's my Venus flytrap (: it's recovering quickly and showing faster signs of growth since I put it in my own mixture. It's fresh pine needles, 100% organic and self harvested peat and live long fibered spaghnum moss. Today more snow melted so I'm going to harvest more materials!

By steve booth
Branmuffin wrote:Any suggestions for what can be used for a plug? I made 2, 16x16 inch mini bogs this weekend but haven't found a good solution for a plug to control water level. I don't want to use a valve, would prefer just a plug that I can pop in and out to change/ adjusts water as needed.
I use wine bottle corks as plugs in the larger containers and bamboo skewer stick broken into approx 1" lengths for smaller pots or sometimes in the large pots too, to allow for slow drainage, useful after heavy rainfall as the plant gets some advantage from an inundation and drains over a few days. Just drill the hole in the pot a little smaller than your stopper, generally the water swells the cork or wood to give a good tight fit.

Cheers
Steve
By Branmuffin
steve booth wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:Any suggestions for what can be used for a plug? I made 2, 16x16 inch mini bogs this weekend but haven't found a good solution for a plug to control water level. I don't want to use a valve, would prefer just a plug that I can pop in and out to change/ adjusts water as needed.
I use wine bottle corks as plugs in the larger containers and bamboo skewer stick broken into approx 1" lengths for smaller pots or sometimes in the large pots too, to allow for slow drainage, useful after heavy rainfall as the plant gets some advantage from an inundation and drains over a few days. Just drill the hole in the pot a little smaller than your stopper, generally the water swells the cork or wood to give a good tight fit.

Cheers
Steve
I was walking through the hardware store last night looking for some type of a plug and stumbled across corks and rubber shaped corks. I picked up a few of each and I have a feeling the actual cork will work best like you mentioned. Great idea.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!