FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Claudius Maximus
Thought I would try just distilled water and rocks. Read this article (http://www.mydomaine.com/root-plants-in-water/) and gave it a try. 14 days in and new growth. Maybe it will work.
20170217_095159-1.jpg
20170217_095159-1.jpg (157.33 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
20170217_094535-1.jpg
20170217_094535-1.jpg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
Cool, is the rhizome out of the water?
By Claudius Maximus
No, I have to keep an eye on it daily. Evaporates fast

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
OK, the reason I asked is because I'd be worried about rot.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
I have to try this with drosera (Or utricularia :roll: ).
By Grey
Hey there and welcome to the forums!

This looks like a unique way to grow Venus fly traps, but I'm not sure how well their rhizomes and roots will manage long-term. If kept in water, they can succumb to rot, so I'd be a bit nervous of that. Please do let us know how things go, because it does look quite interesting and I can see the visual appeal but, I don't know if this particular species will adapt to this kind of growing method. Hydroponics might be safer, as the rhizomes won't be constantly sat in water.

You might have success with some species of terrestrial or semi-aquatic Utricularia, though, and you'd get an amazing spectacle courtesy of their awesome roots. :-) Many Utric species are much more tolerant to moisture, although I think you'd probably need a small plug of soil to allow their delicate leaves to flourish, too. Some of our community have successfully grown Utricularia with their roots exposed.

There are all sorts of plants that may do welll with this particular method of growing, especially ones that do not need nutrients provided by soil. Some aquatic plants, for instance, can be grown semi-immersed, as long as humidity is high enough during the initial adaptation phase, and so those may be a good one to look into if you want a good display piece. Anubias species, I believe, are one of the groups that can do well semi-immersed as, even when fully immersed in water, they root onto things and cannot handle having their rhizomes buried, otherwise they'll rot. (They're accustomed to having wet feet!)

I'm confident that there are other plants that could possibly do well in this particular environment, it just depends on the preference of the plant and what its rhizome can handle, really. I do sincerely hope that this method works for you and would love to hear of any updates but it would be best to keep a close eye on the health of the rhizomes as, if these start to die (which is quite likely if they are kept underwater) then you may struggle to recover the plants.
By idog24
They definitely do not look nearly as healthy as mine which are grown in regular CP soil. If you don't care about the health of the plants, and you just want to try an experiment, then continue! But if you want the healthiest flytraps, try to replicate their natural environment and don't get fancy with it! -cool experiment though...
idog24 liked this
By uusa2000
Any update on this?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!