FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
Hi all,

I am pretty much a noob, but I've read up and learned as much as I could about CPs over the last several months. I really want a large pot overflowing with traps, and it would also prevent the roots from overheating, as I live in Denver and the sun at this altitude is extremely strong.

I am looking at some pots that are 9.5L×9.5W×7H. Is the 7" depth okay or is it beneficial to go a little deeper? I want them to grow, flourish, and multiply as much as possible. I also wasn't sure how far apart they need to be spaced. I have 4 young VFTs, 1 young adult, 1 starter, and lots of babies (with more plants to come when they're back in stock). However, I think I'm going to leave the babies with the parents and not separate them until next year because they're tiny and I don't want to disturb the plants (was just going to take them out of their cups and plop them right into the new pot as is, not disturbing the moss around the roots). Would keeping them together slow their growth in any way?

I'm also not sure I'd be able to tray water such a large pot and didn't know if that could be potentially detrimental. I imagine a pot that size could hold a lot of moisture and I should'nt have to water so often.

Finally, can I plant my Judith Hindle sarracenia together with the VFTs or is it better to keep them separated? It seemed they have similar water, soil, and dormancy requirements but that maybe the sarra needs more water?

I'm not wild about the sarracenia but I am kind of obsessed with my VFTs and want to give them the best care possible. :)

I very much appreciate any input you could offer. Thanks!
By MichaelGuardian
Your pot is large enough for them. As for the spacing between them, i'd space them about 2 inches apart and within 2-3 growing seasons, they will cover up the whole surface of the soil.

For the baby VFTs, separating them will cause them too much stress as they are still quite small, so just keep them until they are larger.

With the watering, just keep the pot in a tray of water and always have water in the tray, try to always have at least 2-3 inches of water up the side of the pot in the tray.

Although sarracenias and VFTs have about the same growing requirements, planting the Judith Hindle together with the VFTs will overwhelm the flytraps. However, if you have a larger pot, you may plant them together. It also depends on the size of the Judith Hindle, if it is a small plant right now, you can plant it with the VFTs, but after a few years, it will get really big and cover up the VFTs.

Hope I helped!
By roarke
Orit wrote:Hi all,

I am pretty much a noob, but I've read up and learned as much as I could about CPs over the last several months. I really want a large pot overflowing with traps, and it would also prevent the roots from overheating, as I live in Denver and the sun at this altitude is extremely strong.

I am looking at some pots that are 9.5L×9.5W×7H. Is the 7" depth okay or is it beneficial to go a little deeper? I want them to grow, flourish, and multiply as much as possible. I also wasn't sure how far apart they need to be spaced. I have 4 young VFTs, 1 young adult, 1 starter, and lots of babies (with more plants to come when they're back in stock). However, I think I'm going to leave the babies with the parents and not separate them until next year because they're tiny and I don't want to disturb the plants (was just going to take them out of their cups and plop them right into the new pot as is, not disturbing the moss around the roots). Would keeping them together slow their growth in any way?

I'm also not sure I'd be able to tray water such a large pot and didn't know if that could be potentially detrimental. I imagine a pot that size could hold a lot of moisture and I should'nt have to water so often.

Finally, can I plant my Judith Hindle sarracenia together with the VFTs or is it better to keep them separated? It seemed they have similar water, soil, and dormancy requirements but that maybe the sarra needs more water?

I'm not wild about the sarracenia but I am kind of obsessed with my VFTs and want to give them the best care possible. :)

I very much appreciate any input you could offer. Thanks!
Why not try to put a pot with holes in a pot without holes ?
By Orit
Thanks, that helps a lot! Sounds like that pot should hold plenty of VFTs, including all the ones I'm planning on picking up. The sarra is already much taller than the VFTs so I'll keep them separated.
Really excited for growing season!

Roarke, the pot is too thick to stack (actually an insulated shipping box), but i think a deli plate lid could do as a tray. It will just need to be deep enough to make up for the 1.25" thickness.

I probably didn't do enough research on the pitcher plant before I bought it. Is it true pitcher plants can live symbiotically with spiders? If so, once it goes outside in the spring, it's not ever coming back in. I have major arachnaphobia ever since I lived in the Apartment from Hell several years ago that was horribly infested with them and they were in the bed, in the couch, in clothes in the closet - everywhere. I used to mildly like spiders and now I get panic attacks from them... Just another reason to love (most) CPs.
By MichaelGuardian
Spiders do sometimes live on sarrs and they catch some of the insects attracted by the pitcher plant. However, they do sometimes fall pray to the plant.

I'd recommend putting the sarr outside, it will get more sunlight and it will grow larger. As long as where you live isn't too warm or too cold, you won't have to worry about the sarr that much.
MichaelGuardian liked this
By Orit
My shipping container/VFT pot to be just arrived. It's 9.5×9.5×7 depth inside dimensions, about 12x12x8.25 outside dimensions (thick for insulation). I have to cut the drainage holes. Should I just make one in the center or does it need more?
By Orit
Omg!!! My last FTS order just came in. All the plants are gorgeous and healthy as usual, but look at this incredible Jaws! I have never seen anything like it - a trap within a trap?!

Got 5 amazing plants I've been dreaming of for a long time (DC XL, Jaws, FTS Purple Ambush, Long Red Fingers, and Coquillage) and Jaws stole the show with this double trap. I was so excited to get this order and I'm even more excited now.

I'm already making plans for a more successful and deep dormancy next winter. I am determined to get this 100% right and let these babies thrive!
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-02-10-16-40-49.png
Screenshot_2017-02-10-16-40-49.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1328 times
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!