FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tomerd1409
Hey everyone , im new here and about to get my seeds , i have read alot about growing etc etc ; but left with one question ,
if i plant one seed , will i get one head ? por how does it work with these guys ?
if so how much seeds should I plant ?
thanks everyone !
By tomerd1409
erikHIplants wrote:You need to tell us what plants you are growing first lol
oh sorry haha
venus fly trap
By Grey
Hey there and welcome to the forums! Growing a Venus fly trap from seed is really exciting, although it can take quite a while. I'd definitely recommend investing in an adult plant in the interim, while you take care of the baby ones. Baby plants are also more demanding than adult ones.

One seed will yield one plant, which will grow and develop multiple leaves and traps. It's definitely worthwhile planting as many seeds as you are comfortable with, because, as I say, they take a long time to grow and as they are quite demanding you may find that you lose some in the process, so planting more will help to ensure some survive to adulthood (which takes years).

It's fantastic that you've read up a lot on growing Venus fly traps from seed; have you seen Flytrapcare.com's article about it? You can find it here, and a guide on growing adult plants here. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Grey liked this
By Branmuffin
Just a tip from a first season seed grower. I would suggest using a seedling tray and placing 3-5 seeds per plug. I have grown 30-50 seeds in the same pot with good success and also with nearly 0 germination. I suggest sterilizing your media to help avoid fungus issues. I had a whole pot of seeds destroyed by a white fungus that I couldn't kill. I tried H2O2, diluted rubbing alcohol and neem oil but it always came back in a couple days. Next time I will try a sulfer based fungicide.

Anyways, now I'm using a seedling tray and have been much more successful.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!