FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chipi3s
This thread is to help Identify and distinguish Nepenthes Harryana. If any info is missing or incorrect notify me so I can update. Thanks!

I would like to gather as much info About "Nepenthes Harryana" as possible to make this hybrid more known and distinguishable.
I would greatly appreciate all pictures of the hybrid cultivated or from Situ(wild).

This hybrid was discovered by Frederick William Burbidge in 1882.

If you are searching for photos type these for best results in your search engine-
"Nepenthes x Harryana"
"Villosa x Edwardsiana"

What makes this hybrid different from its parents?
So far I noticed...

-Slightly elongated neck in peristome(on mature plants so far)
-Pitcher is far more green then red though color can range from plant to plant.
-The teeth are exaggerated closer in resemblance to Villosa then edwardsiana on maturing plants.
-The hip is in the center of the pitcher while Edwardsiana is near the bottom and Villosa is near the top.
-Pitcher size seems to be in the middle of Edwardsiana and Villosa, closer in height to Edwardsiana.
-Can be grown in same conditions as Edwardsiana not requiring ultra highland conditions like its counter part Villosa.
-leaves tend to be round on Harryana as apposed to edwardsiana's Are Narrow/point where the tendril meets the leaf. Example below
Attachments:
Edwardsiana on left Harryana on right. Leaves are rounded on Harryana as it matures.
Edwardsiana on left Harryana on right. Leaves are rounded on Harryana as it matures.
AFABD479-DCB8-49AB-B7BC-9999BF1BFAAE.jpg (377.21 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
A photo from wiki to help differentiate the three plants!
A photo from wiki to help differentiate the three plants!
IMG_4483.PNG (827.56 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
Last edited by Chipi3s on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By tannerm
Chipi3s wrote:I recently received a Harryana, no pitchers at the moment. It will be hard to tell since it's winter. But i have heating and suplimental lighting in the greenhouse this year. So hopefully I can this plant as well as all my others to grow during winter! I will definitely keep updating on the matter!

My guess is it will be the same as Edwardsiana if not faster.
How big? Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Chipi3s
tannerm wrote:
Chipi3s wrote:I recently received a Harryana, no pitchers at the moment. It will be hard to tell since it's winter. But i have heating and suplimental lighting in the greenhouse this year. So hopefully I can this plant as well as all my others to grow during winter! I will definitely keep updating on the matter!

How big? Pictures?

Once the plant produces its first pitcher I will be posting pictures. The plant is fairly large.
By tannerm
Chipi3s wrote:
tannerm wrote:

How big? Pictures?

Once the plant produces its first pitcher I will be posting pictures. The plant is fairly large.
where did you get it?

By tannerm
Chipi3s wrote:Private seller. I'm unaware of how they received the plant either. The plant was in rough shape from transit, took quite a while to receive it.
Darn. Well keep us updated!

By Chipi3s
tannerm wrote:
Chipi3s wrote:Private seller. I'm unaware of how they received the plant either. The plant was in rough shape from transit, took quite a while to receive it.

I definitely will! I'm Just as excited as everyone else. The worest part about being a Nepenthes enthusiast is the wait.
By tannerm
Chipi3s wrote:
tannerm wrote:

I definitely will! I'm Just as excited as everyone else. The worest part about being a Nepenthes enthusiast is the wait.
I waited about 7 months for my first jamban pitcher while it was getting acclimated :p

By Chipi3s
Well this supposed Harryana that I have has made zero progress. I'm giving it optimal conditions and not even a sign of new growth. I'll keep you updated as soon as it grows it's first pitcher.
By Chipi3s
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Are there no pictures of a mature plant? (or pitcher?)

As stated above if you are searching through google you need to type "Nepenthes X Harryana" don't forget x or you get no results of the plant. There's so little talk or research done about this hybrid nothing really shows up in the search results
Chipi3s liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!