FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, my flytraps are still dormant. I'd like to separate the divisions from the mother plant. If I understood correctly the perfect moment for repoting is early spring before the plants come out of dormancy.

I have two pot sizes. The smaller pot is 4,3 inches tall, and the bigger one is 8 inches tall. Will the smaller pot be okay for one division and the bigger pot for one mother plant?
Attachments:
a.JPG
a.JPG (56.78 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
b.JPG
b.JPG (104.01 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
c.JPG
c.JPG (99.29 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
By xr280xr
The smaller pot is a little on the short side, but it should be OK for a medium sized flytrap for one season. After that, your flytrap will continue to live in it, but the pot might be limiting its growth potential. I'd just make sure to fill it almost to the top.

Black or dark pots are not usually recommended for outdoors because they heat up a lot in direct sun which can dry out your media or even just get too hot for your plants' rhizome and roots. You may want to paint their exteriors before potting unless you have another way to shield them from direct sun.
xr280xr liked this
By zoliky
Thanks for your suggestions! This may sound off-topic, but the only thing that bothers me is that square pots have larger drainage holes, especially the 8" one. I used window screen and pantyhose in the past and they worked great for round pots, but they stretch a lot and I hate that. Yesterday when I was at the store I found an adhesive tape that looks like a screen, I think they use it for wall joints and it's made of fiberglass. Do you think that can be used? As far as I know fiberglass is not posionous for CPs and I only apply a few patches at the bottom. I just want the screen to stick to the pot until I finish filling the whole stuff with soil.
Attachments:
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG (60.72 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG (49.68 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
I just stuff some dead LFSM in the bottom or put a piece of paper towel cut to size in the bottom. Both block up the holes but allow water to get in readily.
By zoliky
Ok, I decided to go with sphagnum. The fiberglass doesn't seem to pass water well because of the glue.
If the sphagnum is a bit milled it can be a problem? I used this smaller one to germinate sundew seeds with great success. It's the only LFS I have now at the hand. Since it's milled it will probably keep moisture better, but I don't think that's a problem for the bottom, right? it's far from the crown of the plant.

Will this be okay? Can I start pouring the peat:perlite?
sphagnum.jpg
sphagnum.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Attachments:
IMG_4362.JPG
IMG_4362.JPG (87.83 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
By xr280xr
Personally, I like the holes. Those would give you great drainage and help keep the soil fresh. The milled sphagnum might eventually seep through the holes as much as peat moss would. It should last for a while though.
By zoliky
I just finished repoting my VFTs. In the end, I went with the same size pots as before, 5,1 inches (medium size) tall pots. I think the flytrapstore sell the flytraps in a round white pot and the size is something similar to that.

The roots of most of my flytraps reached the bottom of my pots. I found one little division with mushy rhizome and mold, I removed that, but all the other rhizome looked white and very healthy.

If the roots are at the bottom of the pot as far as I know is not a problem, but the plant probably won't grow bigger than last year, am I right?
Attachments:
2.JPG
2.JPG (135.37 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (53.91 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Last edited by zoliky on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By xr280xr
Looks good! It might still grow bigger than last year, but it might eventually limit its growth. The rhizomes are always growing new roots and replacing old ones just like leaves. I'm sure they'll be happy.
xr280xr liked this
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!