FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By blucksy
So this is kind of weird. My Heliamphoras have been doing really well over the last 4 months however recently a lot of my heliamphora have been losing pitchers. I checked for mites and found none but found a bit of algae on the ones that had a layer of peat on top(awful idea). My first heliamphora I got has been doing extremely well and is the same species. My helis are still throwing off pitchers. Also, I switched to a more powerful light but I doubt it's burn. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By hongranp
blucksy wrote:So this is kind of weird. My Heliamphoras have been doing really well over the last 4 months however recently a lot of my heliamphora have been losing pitchers. I checked for mites and found none but found a bit of algae on the ones that had a layer of peat on top(awful idea). My first heliamphora I got has been doing extremely well and is the same species. My helis are still throwing off pitchers. Also, I switched to a more powerful light but I doubt it's burn. Thanks.

My first heli almost died because it didn't get the temperature drop at night. The symptom was losing pitchers from the oldest to the newest. Also, they like good humidity and air flow. But you said they were doing well before, my only other guess is root rot. How are you watering them? Just my two cents.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
By blucksy
hongranp wrote:
blucksy wrote:So this is kind of weird. My Heliamphoras have been doing really well over the last 4 months however recently a lot of my heliamphora have been losing pitchers. I checked for mites and found none but found a bit of algae on the ones that had a layer of peat on top(awful idea). My first heliamphora I got has been doing extremely well and is the same species. My helis are still throwing off pitchers. Also, I switched to a more powerful light but I doubt it's burn. Thanks.

My first heli almost died because it didn't get the temperature drop at night. The symptom was losing pitchers from the oldest to the newest. Also, they like good humidity and air flow. But you said they were doing well before, my only other guess is root rot. How are you watering them? Just my two cents.....

I water them a little too often. I plan on watering twice a week instead of like once a day. I have anxiety so I constantly always water my plants or move them.

By hongranp
Lol, the live spaghnum around my helis is usually a good indicator for watering. If they look dry I ll top water the whole pot. That's usually twice a week in winter. I don't use the tray method so water just drains from bottom. They are also in a terrarium. Good luck!

By blucksy
nimbulan wrote:Helis shouldn't need a temperature drop at night unless it gets too hot during the day, similar to Darlingtonia. Could you post some pictures?
Image I noticed that all the pitchers that died were the ones damaged in shipping from the group order. They stayed alive until now.

By blucksy
nimbulan wrote:If it's all old pitchers dying, it's probably nothing to worry about. I know that can happen to Nepenthes too after an environmental change, even a couple months later.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted again.

By Maiden
Its very hard to find what is the problem without the right information. We need to know what is the ventilation, watering method, temperatures, soil type, relative humidity and others.

Then we will be able to find the problem. BUT from what you said, and from what i see on your picture, i think the same as others users: overwatering.

i suggest a total repot, in new media, without algae. Try to add a ventilation agent, like perlite, to your mix.

Try to provide very high relative humidity, and a light temperature drop at night. Like nimbulan said, the drop is not a must, but it will help. Its always better to follow the insitu conditions. Those who grow their helis without a proper temperature drop will never have the stunning deep red coloration.

IE: the tepuys temperatures you can find on some websites comes from base camps, not the summits.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!