FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Does anyone know if cobras grow better/best in live LFS? I've seen some mentions of it online (and there's even a picture of it in The Savage Garden, yet the book doesn't talk about using it as media) Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I don't think it matters much. There's a local grower here in Oregon who has a huge collection of Darlingtonia and he uses pure peat. I know many people like to grow them in live Sphagnum, but you have to deal with the plant becoming buried over time.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:I don't think it matters much. There's a local grower here in Oregon who has a huge collection of Darlingtonia and he uses pure peat. I know many people like to grow them in live Sphagnum, but you have to deal with the plant becoming buried over time.
Yeah, that's why you have to trim it down when it gets too high :) maybe I'll wait until the plant gets bigger.

By steve booth
I have them growing in both pure sphagnum and peat/perlite, the ones in pure sphagnum do grow taller, get growing quicker and look more robust.
Generally the plants in the pure sphagnum (even seedlings) tend to outgrow the moss so controlling the moss growth then ceases to necessary.

Cheers
Steve
By tannerm
steve booth wrote:I have them growing in both pure sphagnum and peat/perlite, the ones in pure sphagnum do grow taller, get growing quicker and look more robust.
Generally the plants in the pure sphagnum (even seedlings) tend to outgrow the moss so controlling the moss growth then ceases to necessary.

Cheers
Steve
That's awesome! I actually just ordered clear pots and some more live moss yesterday. My hamata is growing in some live moss as well and absolutely loves it! What conditions do you give yours? Humidity/temp and do you give it dormancy?

By steve booth
I live in the UK and grow most of mine outdoors (seedlings and adults) year long, although i now have several score of juveniles in a cold greenhouse.
I have no need to control the humidity they just grow in the UK conditions, the met office over here say that the yearly average relative humidity is 76% ish, nor really do I control dormancy either, they stay outside in large pots with some fleece over if a particularly cold desiccating wind is expected, then start growth in spring as the weather warms and the photo period gets longer. They have seen temperatures this year of -5C but have seen considerably lower n previous years with no significant damage.
Cheers
Steve
By tannerm
steve booth wrote:I live in the UK and grow most of mine outdoors (seedlings and adults) year long, although i now have several score of juveniles in a cold greenhouse.
I have no need to control the humidity they just grow in the UK conditions, the met office over here say that the yearly average relative humidity is 76% ish, nor really do I control dormancy either, they stay outside in large pots with some fleece over if a particularly cold desiccating wind is expected, then start growth in spring as the weather warms and the photo period gets longer. They have seen temperatures this year of -5C but have seen considerably lower n previous years with no significant damage.
Cheers
Steve
That's awesome! Thanks for the info.

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!