FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BobCat
I have the option for growing vft seeds at home but not sure if it will work and how much will germinate. There is a table with 2 shelves at home. At the top i have all my mature vft and they getting full sun. At the bottom i have move some seedlings (busy accumulating them).

As you can see the sun rays stop where the pots begin.

My plants still grow but not red leaves, the plants shown used to be all red.

Do you think the seeds will germinate if i cover them with cling wrap and put them next to my other seedlings?

By zoliky
Gry wrote:
ddoherty958 wrote:can venus flytraps be grown indoors under a normal light bulb?
people are unnecessarily fussy and overly critical about how "ONLY SUNLIGHT WILL EVER WORK" and I find it... forgive me, I find it plainly stupid. These plants are not hard to grow at all. infact, they are beasts, considering what I put mine through in my experiments.
I prefer to give my sundews a bit less light and have larger leaves with only a bit of red coloration.
Last edited by zoliky on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FLTropical
I concur. Granted I grow mine outside in near tropical conditions, but mine only get sun in the winter. During the summer they get mostly shade, because the sun is so intense it will slowly kill adult vft.
By BobCat
I have added two 25w cfl's (one at each end). The cfls is getting a little hot so i have installed a timer to allow only 16 hours of light each day. Instead of one 16 hour cycle i have set timer....
1am-5am(on)
7am-11am(on)
13pm-17pm(on)
19pm-23pm(on)

I think 2 hours will be more enough to allow the cfls to cool down.

Can I grow my seedlings that way or should I leave the lights on in the day and turn them off at night instead?

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!