FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have a south-facing window that seems to be working very well for my small collection, but as I'm in the Northern hemisphere, it has light all day. So it gets quite hot over there already, 80 degrees or so, and I'm worried about summer. Both about my plants roasting and about my room getting unbearably hot.
We have UV film on some of the other windows in the house, and it does a great job of keeping things cooler. From what I've read, UV film doesn't harm houseplants because plants don't use UV light, but I'm not sure if it's the same for carnivores. The only thing I could find online about CPs and UV light is an article about how some pitcher plants have rims that glow under UV light to help them attract insects, which is cool, but didn't really answer my question.
By Smooter80
Many people grow CPs under lights without UV or behind glass that blocks UV. 80F is nowhere near too hot for VFTs. I wouldn't even start to get concerned about heat until 105+ in full unfiltered sun.

UV film on glass seems kind of pointless as the glass is already filtering UV. If it's tinted film it's filtering other spectrums and blocking useable light.

IMO VFTs are much easier to grow outside anyways. I wouldn't just throw them outside in the middle of Winter but perhaps transition them to sunlight this Spring.
By Fishkeeper
I know most houses have UV-filtering windows already, but our house is about 120 years old, and pretty much all of the windows are originals. We have UV film in some of the other rooms, and it's not really visible, but it makes a huge difference in the amount of heat that gets into the room. It's the same stuff people sometimes put on greenhouses.

Right now, I just have sundews, a couple of Neps, and some Ultrics, and a few non-CPs in the same window. No VFTs yet. And considering that it gets 105+ outside in midsummer, and that spot is 92 degrees with it being only 78 outside, I think there is a genuine possibility of them being cooked when it starts to warm up. Plus, it's harder to keep them as humid as they like.

And part of the temperature concern is for me. It's hot in here, even with the air conditioner going, because the window doesn't have the curtains closed. I don't want to cook myself in summer because of the window.
By Smooter80
You don't want to roast yourself or your plants!! It sounds like an oven. A little shading wouldn't hurt the Neps and the others will let you know if they aren't getting enough light. Good luck and stay cool.
By Fishman
Sounds like Texas! What i do is get my outdoor plants acclimated early on. As soon as the last hard freeze i begin to un-mulch, & repot yada yada.. get them ready for spring. Keep them outside so that they can adjust with the seasons. Here where i am, by the time mid summer has arrived, the plants are well hardened off. I've had typical vfts make it through 115F with a little help from some of my taller plants for mid day shading. And the Sarracenia? Theyre troopers! They love the sun..I do incorporate the usage of elephant ears, tall monkey grass, small crape myrtles, stuff like that and i usually never have problems getting a full summer out of any of the cps i have. The watering trays never go dry during the hottest days of the year. Indoors on a window seal, i sometimes use that uv screen fabric across the window to help with some of the heat indoors.
By Adelaide
Hey Fish! I grow all my plants indoors under fluorescents or LEDs (no UV) and they do just fine. I don't know what benefit UV would offer plants, but just for some perspective, reptiles need UVB light for vitamin D and calcium production and reptile keepers often have to buy UV lights to provide this. Snakes are an exception as they eat whole prey and get the required calcium by digesting bone. Reptiles also have four types of cones in their eyes as opposed to our three cones, the fourth cone allows them to see UVA light - which helps them hunt and interact socially. These needs for UV don't apply to plants so I dont see what the drawback would be.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
OK, good to know.
I'll be putting UV film on the windows. If for some weird reason I see negative effects, I can always just peel the film back off, or just remove a small section of it. I doubt the plants will even notice, though.
By Nauz
UV hasn't much been studied with Cp's I believe. I do know UV's help with aroma from lavender and stuff. But it can also damage plant cells. Most plants create waxy coating to prevent UV or lower UV exposure. Other then that unless more studies done on it I would guess it wouldn't do anything for most if not all cp's.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!