FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Joe-The-King
Should I repot my plant then place it in the fridge? Lots have leaves have died so i think the best thing is to get a slightly bigger pot, new soil, get rid of all dead leaves and then do the fridge method?

Also if I use the fridge method will the plant not need light? Because In a fridge it's dark unless you open it?

Another thing that would be useful is if someone could send me a link with an ideal pot? I currently have the pot it came in and I think the plant would like it if it had a slightly deeper pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By DeadlyCarnivore
Joe-The-King wrote:
hollyhock wrote:https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-t ... y-tutorial
Yes I read This but does the plant not need light in the fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They would not need light, the fridge method wouldnt be a thing unless they needed light when dormant.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Matt
hollyhock wrote:The refrigerator method is a deep dormancy state.
Exactly. More like putting the plant in a state of suspended animation for a while until conditions are favorable for growing again. If a flytrap is kept in its pot and gets sun all winter, it will grow throughout the winter, storing energy in its bulb and be ready to grow out in spring time. If stored in the fridge, it can't add to its energy reserves, nor grow at all, but it will resume growth in the spring once taken out of the fridge and provided with favorable growing conditions.
By mokigarden
I can attest to the fridge method. I've been growing flytraps indoors for about 3 years now, and have undergone 2 fridge dormancies. I've only ever lost half of one bulb/rhizome to mold the rest have been just fine!
By tommyr
I've been doing the fridge method for almost 10 years. Wait to re-pot until late winter/early spring. Check them maybe once a month for fungus and hit with a SULPHUR based fungicide if needed.
By Bhart90
Yea, this is a reassuring article.

Up here in E.Michigan it's been negative 8 and what not for 2 weeks now. They been in the fridge, my dc and red akyaui
By tommyr
Bhart90 wrote:Yea, this is a reassuring article.

Up here in E.Michigan it's been negative 8 and what not for 2 weeks now. They been in the fridge, my dc and red akyaui
Brutal cold. It was 2 F. at my house this morning. SO far we got as low as 1 this winter. I expect it to go a bit lower before the winter ends.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!