FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mahesh
Can somebody tell me what is wrong with these sundews?
I keep them indoor under 2 bulbs,one 20W LED and one 20W CFL bulb.I water them with water below 50ppm.
Also have a look at second image.Do you see the pink bud at the start of the leaf.Is it a bug?
IMG_20170104_104034951-min.jpg
IMG_20170104_104034951-min.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2851 times
IMG_20170104_103907532-min.jpg
IMG_20170104_103907532-min.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2851 times
By roarke
The pink bud is a root support wich grows from the plant sides. It is a type of root to support the weight and/or to stop the plant leaning on its side. Don't poke at it ! Are you certain that is this are you refering to ? Because i only see in the photo some red coloration at the base of the leaf, wich is only that, red coloration because of the light. I don't know anything about growlights, but the plant is light starved with only 20W cfl.
By mahesh
roarke wrote:The pink bud is a root support wich grows from the plant sides. It is a type of root to support the weight and/or to stop the plant leaning on its side. Don't poke at it ! Are you certain that is this are you refering to ? Because i only see in the photo some red coloration at the base of the leaf, wich is only that, red coloration because of the light. I don't know anything about growlights, but the plant is light starved with only 20W cfl.
No,I'm referring to the pink bud right above the red coloration of leaf.
By Tarzanus
I think it's just a scale that grows between the 'layers' of new leaves. Perfectly normal. It's normal that old, dying leaves show some red coloration, in fact, healthy leaves should be a bit reddened as well.
I agree, it seems it could use some more light.
If it was transplanted recently, that could be the reason. If it dried out lately, or got severely shocked (heat, cold,..), leaves might have been a bit damaged, new leaves will get healthy, just give it enough light.
By Adelaide
I could be wrong but the health of your plants makes me think the "pink bud" you are talking about is a pest called scale - if you have more than just this one "bud" it probably is. Check the underside of the leaves. I'd also recommend you get entirely new potting mix, equal parts peat and perlite - the mix you have has algae and mostly likely little oxygen to the roots.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Keep it a bit drier (I would actually just repot into fresh loose soil) This soil looks a bit gunked up...that can choke the roots. Also what is that on the soil? osmocote pellets?

And like others have said the light does not seem good enough...The Lumens will be a better indicator of the light output than the wattage.
By mahesh
Adelaide wrote:I could be wrong but the health of your plants makes me think the "pink bud" you are talking about is a pest called scale - if you have more than just this one "bud" it probably is. Check the underside of the leaves. I'd also recommend you get entirely new potting mix, equal parts peat and perlite - the mix you have has algae and mostly likely little oxygen to the roots.

I checked and there is this only one bud.Also can I use coco peat instead of peat moss? Peat moss is not easily available here.
By mahesh
SundewWolf wrote:Keep it a bit drier (I would actually just repot into fresh loose soil) This soil looks a bit gunked up...that can choke the roots. Also what is that on the soil? osmocote pellets?

And like others have said the light does not seem good enough...The Lumens will be a better indicator of the light output than the wattage.

Yesterday I replaced the old bulb with 35W 2200 lumens CFL cool daylight bulb.Will that work?
By Adelaide
You can use coco peat but I would rinse it thoroughly first as some suppliers grow in an areas rich in salts.

By SundewWolf
mahesh wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:Keep it a bit drier (I would actually just repot into fresh loose soil) This soil looks a bit gunked up...that can choke the roots. Also what is that on the soil? osmocote pellets?

Yesterday I replaced the old bulb with 35W 2200 lumens CFL cool daylight bulb.Will that work?
Yeah that should work.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!