FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
Are you using the "purple" LEDs, tannerm? With light so heavily weighted towards red, I can certainly see plants coloring up more under similar light intensity compared to white light, though the plants shouldn't really grow any differently under it.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Are you using the "purple" LEDs, tannerm? With light so heavily weighted towards red, I can certainly see plants coloring up more under similar light intensity compared to white light, though the plants shouldn't really grow any differently under it.
I use the Mars Hydro 300w (granted it uses closer to 130 watts), but it is comprised of red, blue, and white LEDs... the resulting glow is purple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Aozora
what would be better growing conditions for the moss, good airflow or high humidity? got a container with moss coverd with saran wrap, this makes for a high humidity environment but has no airflow.
By tannerm
Aozora wrote:what would be better growing conditions for the moss, good airflow or high humidity? got a container with moss coverd with saran wrap, this makes for a high humidity environment but has no airflow.
It's an entire recipe, not a single factor. You will not have a successful time growing moss (or plants in general) without airflow AND new air, not just recirculated air.

By Bhart90
Lord. I don't want to buy a led bulb to see grrrr. Could we rule out lighting? Any other chance of another factor?
By tannerm
I mean your moss does look healthy. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? And what's your humidity

By Aozora
tannerm wrote:
Aozora wrote:what would be better growing conditions for the moss, good airflow or high humidity? got a container with moss coverd with saran wrap, this makes for a high humidity environment but has no airflow.
It's an entire recipe, not a single factor. You will not have a successful time growing moss (or plants in general) without airflow AND new air, not just recirculated air.

Got no problems with plants or moss, its just that with my last batch of moss (used it all for my nepenthes) i coverd it up with some saran wrap and i had never seen it grow that fast :p
By tannerm
Aozora wrote:
tannerm wrote:

Got no problems with plants or moss, its just that with my last batch of moss (used it all for my nepenthes) i coverd it up with some saran wrap and i had never seen it grow that fast :p
Its bad to grow in a stagnant air environment for extended periods of time. It promotes fungus, mold and limits plant growth.

By Bhart90
Ok, where am I supposed to purchase this "New air" haha, you just refer to a concealed container right? An entire grow romantic good, right?

And what I want to accomplish is

Have my moss from w like yours. I don't have ny that structured

How the tips are almost a honey comb, instead of random frayed pieces if that makes sense...

And I want my darn red moss to STAY red.
By tannerm
Bhart90 wrote:Ok, where am I supposed to purchase this "New air" haha, you just refer to a concealed container right? An entire grow romantic good, right?

And what I want to accomplish is

Have my moss from w like yours. I don't have ny that structured

How the tips are almost a honey comb, instead of random frayed pieces if that makes sense...

And I want my darn red moss to STAY red.
As in you need to have fresh air coming into your enclosure. Take for instance my greenhouse shelf tent that I bought on Amazon... I leave the bottom of it open (unzipped to the second level), with a fan right above it that comes on for about 20 minutes every 2 hours. That's my air intake. That way you're not recirculating stagnant air. The ONLY way your color will be like mine is with proper lighting. I.e. EITHER more intense fluorescents (which runs the risk of burning them), or the far superior LEDs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I have found Sphagnum to grow poorly in a sealed container. It will often result in very pale color and slow growth. It will grow fine at lower humidity as long as you keep the moisture level consistent - and how much attention you need to pay to it depends on how large it is, how thickly it's growing, and how intense the lighting is.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:I have found Sphagnum to grow poorly in a sealed container. It will often result in very pale color and slow growth. It will grow fine at lower humidity as long as you keep the moisture level consistent - and how much attention you need to pay to it depends on how large it is, how thickly it's growing, and how intense the lighting is.
Exactly. I don't find humidity 100% critical either, but it helps and makes it better.

By Bhart90
Does anyone object to this lighting issue, if not then I'll get an led only to test this.
By tannerm
Bhart90 wrote:Does anyone object to this lighting issue, if not then I'll get an led only to test this.
No... Nim even said he was surprised your T5s are enough for your Butterworts. Also, make sure it's not waterlogged (as I said before), that doesn't promote structure growth.

Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!