FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By raycer491
Hey all,

I was recently at the BACPS conference in Oakland, and while I was there a friend of mine said that she has been able to propagate particularly large-leaved pings (moctezumae hybrids,"Titan", gigantea, etc.) by slicing the leaves into squares, not necessarily using pullings or relying on the connective tissue at the base of the leaf to form a callus.

Anyone done this? I have a particularly large gigantea I want to propagate and this would help me immensely, but I also don't want to butcher my plant without asking a few people first.

Thanks!
By Benurmanii
Not sure how this would work for Mexican pings, as I always thought the plants only sprouted from the tissue that comes from the heart of the plant. However, I have been told I can propagate the SE U.S. pings by taking a pulling and slicing it down the center from the base and ending before reaching the tip. Plants are supposed to sprout from the cut. Perhaps there is a correlation.
By Leathal_Traps
Back when I used to propagate mexi-pings I would often get new plants growing not just from the tip of the leaf but from the margins as the leaves as well. Never heard of anyone cutting the leaves, but it certainly does sound like it could work.

Might give it a try this weekend!
By cjpflaumer
I can't speak from Mexican ping standpoint but I can attest that Primuliflora propagates from anywhere along the leaf that it feels like. Sometimes 3 or more new plants pop out of one leaf that's on the soil. On that specific plant it's definitely not just the connective tissue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Bhart90
Yes yes and YES, I have done this.

My first pinguicula was, is... named bugbane. Gigantae x moranensis. I've yet to get viable pollen BUT, the slicing does work. I've been able to get about 6 per leaf,

This was a while ago, but you get the point
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/ping- ... 30115.html
By raycer491
I will set up an experiment, then. I have a gigantic healthy plant of P. gigantea, with a 6 inch leaf. I'll make cuts of it, and update you with results.

First I wanna know: I understand that you can propagate pullings without a humidity dome, do you suspect that doing these kind of cuttings will be done best without being under a sort of cover?
By Bhart90
No, I would use a cover For SURE. think about it like this, your "growing" baby plants, and you don the dare risk dry out.

I had cerran wrap over them in a clear plastic dish 24 7.

Ever day I would lift it up, blow in it for 10 seconds orso a d back o it went.

I never had a single speck of mold. no losses at all. zero casualties.

Feel free to pm me I'd you want buddy, I'll do my damnest to help.
By raycer491
hahaha thanks Bhart, I'll keep them all under humid wraps.

For now, the cuts themselves have begun to brown but the succulence hasn't left the leaves, so I hope for calluses to form in a month or so. I'll let you all know if something shrivels up and dies.
By raycer491
Calluses are forming on the connective tissue of P. gigantea that is liminal between the center "stem" and the petiole, but nothing so far on the lateral or long slices.

The succulence of the leaves has not been affected in most pieces, except the edges which are withering. The central "midrib" of the leaves, in all cases, even those that have been cut, are still fat and healthy.

What do I have to do to make calluses form elsewhere on the leaf?
By Bhart90
Give me some pics maaaaaannnnn hahaha

In terms of the other parts. You mean any part of the leaf that wasn't connected?

I've never had plantlets from the edges other than middle.

I thought my pirouette had BHD and I freaked the hell out and took all pullings I could. Well... it turns s out it wasn't BHD. My plant finally wanted to put out pink leaves for the first time. But it's safe to say I got pirouette babies...you post more pics I'll post some. Deal!
By Bhart90
Benurmanii wrote:Personally, I disagree with covering them up. I've propagated both P. orchidioides and P. calderoniae without any boosted humidity. As long as the media is kept wet, they should be fine.
Yea I guess I shouldn't TELL you what to do... I meant to just reinforce what I do.
By Benurmanii
Bhart90 wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Personally, I disagree with covering them up. I've propagated both P. orchidioides and P. calderoniae without any boosted humidity. As long as the media is kept wet, they should be fine.
Yea I guess I shouldn't TELL you what to do... I meant to just reinforce what I do.
I'm just throwing in my input too. I've seen plenty of people cover their pullings, so perhaps there is some merit, but it's just not something I'd bother to do as I haven't been shown any proof of the benefits. My growing style is "don't do anything that you don't have to" :P
By Bhart90
Here is mine. This pirouette will be the only other ping I've tried leaf pullings with.
I got 5 at least that I can see.

Also this is my moss dish. It's all the moss I've found, just a collaboration for no reason in particular haha
Attachments:
20161217_234125.jpg
20161217_234125.jpg (271.29 KiB) Viewed 6454 times

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!