FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
You may have seen elsewhere my gripping about how this clone of esseriana I have only ever-so-slightly blushes red under intense lighting. The plant has always been my #1 boring Pinguicula. However it seems that its true beauty is taking form, in the color of a flower.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4205 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4205 times
By Benurmanii
Shadowtski wrote:Looking good!

It almost looks like there is a second flower scape starting in the middle of the growth point, in the second picture.

Good growing,
Mike
Yup, it does seem that there is another flower coming up, unless it has decided to give me some red leaves :lol:
By Benurmanii
Salia wrote:I thought the faint striping down the center of the leaves was a jaumavensis thing, but apparently not. Huh. The rosettes are so pretty even if they're green though!
It is really hard to tell between jaumavensis, esseriana, and ehlersiae, as all species are extremely variable. As far as I know, it could be any, but it is labeled as esseriana, so that is what I will call it. I remember reading a field trip report by Fernando where he didn't even bother trying to differentiate the pings he saw as either one of othe species, he just always listed the pings in the fashion: "ehlersiae, esseriana, jaumavensis".
By Benurmanii
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Eh I think it still looks cool when its all green
I love the little rosettes of those types of pings. Aren't these really easy to propagate from leaf pullings?
They should be very easy. I have yet to actually take some pullings on this plant though.
By carnigrower
Esseriana is very very easy from leaf pulls, the leaves readily detach even when you don't want them to! I remember the first time I I tried to split a clump of three and most of the leaves fell off, so I chucked them in a little tub filed with wet vermiculite and all 50 or so leaves rooted and produced plants, so Needless to say I took them to a meeting of the Scottish branch of the CPS and have them away.

Mark
By Leathal_Traps
Benurmanii wrote:
Bhart90 wrote:What is the media and green moss?
The moss is just that random carpet moss that is everywhere. Not sure what the media is, I received it in what it is currently planted in. Looks like a heavy perlite media with some peat.
Exactly right. The mix is like a 1:7 peat/perlite ratio.
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!