FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By coffeenflowers
Cascade Carnivores sent me a notification and these two came in stock and I couldn't resist.

The two babies next to jaumavensis were babies that were on the parent plant! There's at least 1 more that was too small for me to separate left on it.

I'm really really pleased with all the plants I've gotten from Ron at CC. The cyclosecta I got last month (which was close to flowering on arrival) ended up dividing since I got it as well.

Image on arrival

Image Today

Any advice on whether I'm keeping this one wet enough?

I'm still trying to figure out the proper amount of water for my pings that are not completely succulent and not completely carnivorous.

My original three (laueana, pirouette, Weser) which are in carnivorous state look great, albeit green. I've noticed a larger leaf size since I started feeding crushed betta food.

I welcome any suggestions on what o can improve.

Crystal
grow list: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32983
By coffeenflowers
erikHIplants wrote:We must've ordered from the same batch of jaumavensis :D

What growing media are you using? I just got mines today.
:D I just replied to your post as well.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of turface and this sand in #2/12 sizing http://www.cemexusa.com/ProductsService ... Sands.aspx

It's interesting because the msds for the sand indicates that it is not entirely silica. Other elements such as iron oxide appear to be in it. So I'll have to see if that is a benefit or not in a few months or so. But I don't expect it to be a problem since some people successfully grow pings in lava rock.
By Grey
These are looking lovely, you're doing a great job with them!! If you want them to go succulent, just stop feeding and watering them and they should take care of the rest on their own. The cyclosecta looks so much better now as well, well done!
Grey liked this
By coffeenflowers
Grey wrote:These are looking lovely, you're doing a great job with them!! If you want them to go succulent, just stop feeding and watering them and they should take care of the rest on their own. The cyclosecta looks so much better now as well, well done!
Grey, can you advise on why these pings that I have (cyclosecta and the newly arrived florian and jaumavensis) don't make any mucus? It is due to the species of the plant or is it because I am keeping them too dry?
By Grey
coffeenflowers wrote:Grey, can you advise on why these pings that I have (cyclosecta and the newly arrived florian and jaumavensis) don't make any mucus? It is due to the species of the plant or is it because I am keeping them too dry?
Mexican Pinguicula tend to stop producing mucus after large changes in their environment (particularly when it comes to humidity); they will adapt and start producing mucus as long as they are in their summer/carnivorous growth.
coffeenflowers wrote:I think I'm having trouble identifying carnivorous vs winter/succulent form vs the in-between form that my cyclosecta appears to be in?
The cyclosecta is definitely transitioning into the succulent state, so you won't need to water it quite as much. Carnivorous leaves are, as Jds said, often larger and actively producing mucus (unless they are acclimatising to a change in environment), they also tend to have a "lip" around the edge of the leaf, almost like a very shallow spoon. Using the photo of the flowering cyclosecta as an example, the oldest leaves (touching the "soil") have this lip, although it has lost some of its shape due to the age of the leaves, whereas the newest leaf growth does not.

I used to have a slideshow on my website of my P. 'Weser' going into its succulent state. I can see if I can find any of the photos and show you a comparison, if that'd be helpful.
By coffeenflowers
Ok, so some times I still feel confused. So here's an example and hopefully someone can help me understand the different leaf types:

Here are a few pictures of P. esseriana Carnivore Culture's website. (Sorry, hope it's not breaking any rules to link--I just want to show the pictures as an example). http://carnivoreculture.com/orderdetails.php?id=9

Picture 1=carnivorous
picture 2= succulent
picture 4=still carnivorous? But it looks different than the first picture.
By DeadlyCarnivore
coffeenflowers wrote:Ok, so some times I still feel confused. So here's an example and hopefully someone can help me understand the different leaf types:

Here are a few pictures of P. esseriana Carnivore Culture's website. (Sorry, hope it's not breaking any rules to link--I just want to show the pictures as an example). http://carnivoreculture.com/orderdetails.php?id=9

Picture 1=carnivorous
picture 2= succulent
I would guess, they arent small and succulent looking, they look bigger than the first picture.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Benurmanii
coffeenflowers wrote:Ok, so some times I still feel confused. So here's an example and hopefully someone can help me understand the different leaf types:

Picture 1=carnivorous
picture 2= succulent
The reason the leaves look different is because they are picturing different clones of esseriana, which is a rather variable species. Yes, in the second picture, newer, paler leaves are the succulent leaves.
By coffeenflowers
Benurmanii wrote:

Picture 1=carnivorous
picture 2= succulent
The reason the leaves look different is because they are picturing different clones of esseriana, which is a rather variable species. Yes, in the second picture, newer, paler leaves are the succulent leaves.
So if you have a plant that looks like picture 4. Will it ever look like picture 1? Or the opposite?
By Benurmanii
coffeenflowers wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:

Picture 1=carnivorous
picture 2= succulent
So if you have a plant that looks like picture 4. Will it ever look like picture 1? Or the opposite?
No, unfortunately. Your plant may get more color depending on how much light it is getting right now, but the plants pictured are clearly geneticallyl different individuals.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!