FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By ziko88
Hi, I'm back!
I've been away from the forum and growing for a while, and now I'm back and trying to get it right. :)

I got some VFT seeds (from FTS of course!) and I've started to get the media ready.

I'm gonna try a 50% Coco Coir, 25% Perlite and 25% Silica sand mix.
I've washed the whole mix many times and the water that comes out measures at around 55 TDS (it started at the high 700 :shock: )
Considering the water that my reverse osmosis system produces is around 50-52 TDS
Is that low enough for VFTs :?:

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
By Matt
Welcome back!

A TDS measurement of 55 is borderline, depending on what minerals are in the water. But it should be OK. Though seedlings are a little more sensitive to mineral content, so I can't say for sure one way or the other. It would be better to use distilled water to be on the safe side.
By xr280xr
ziko88 wrote:I'm back and trying to get it right. :)

I'm gonna try a 50% Coco Coir...
These sound slightly contradictory. Coir is not normally recommended media for growing VFTs in so this sways more towards experimental to me. However, it does sound like you're prepping it correctly. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a TDS of 50, but I don't disagree with what Matt said.
By ziko88
Thanks for the answers

I decided to try coir because I've had such bad luck with peat in the past.
The darn stuff rots so fast and it holds water to the point that I lost all of my plants to root rot.

Where I live (Israel) is a bit tricky to grow. The air in Jerusalem can be so dry and hot that top soil and leafs would dry out completely while the roots rot away with the tray watering method.

Maybe after they germinate I'll move part of them to a peat/perlite+silica mix and see the difference..

I should also look into changing the filter on my revers osmosis .. I used to get water with a TDS of 14ppm

I am determined to figure out a way to grow VFT here!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!