FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Jds
Yes I used to feed to all my plants.
But I havent tried for seedlings as it is very difficult to tear out a small piece to feed small trap,if by any chance,it remains undigested it can get attacked by fungi thats why I dont even try to feed them,I think seedlings will feed small preys themselves.
By cjpflaumer
I have not tried frozen. I have fed freeze dried though. It is tough to feed the babys but after they grow a bit its slightly easier. Much easier to feed drosera or sarracenia with these. I would mash them to a powder basically, then use the tip of a toothpick for the babys and bring your patience depending on how many you have haha.
By code2thad
How did it work out?

I just recently purchased a plant and fed them frozen bloodworms that I let sit out for a hour before putting in two of the traps.

I think it might be making mine sick though. Both traps have like something black leaking out of them where the blood worms were. I didn't put much in either one. Also one lower trap on the plant has turned completely black.

Any ideas on what to do? Should I try feeding more but use the rehydrated ones instead? Should I wait? Traps have been closed for 6 days.

Also I caught a mostquito and threw it in a trap last week and it opened back up the next day so I took the bug out.

This is my first plant so any tips or ideas please let me know.

Thanks!
By boarderlib
If you just received the plant you should wait until it's completely acclimated to its new environment to feed it. Feeding traps that are already stressed will just cause them to die off faster. As you can see in the pic the traps are starting to turn black already.

If you've had the plant for more than a month or so, then when you feed it you need to massage the trap every so often to simulate a struggling insect. Otherwise the trap will open back up in a day or two thinking it caught something inedible.

I don't feed my fly traps. I only feed the plants I grow indoors, because they have no means of obtaining their own food.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By code2thad
So feeding it the first week I got it is making it turn black like that?

I only had it for 2 days before I fed it. I thought it looked a little weak and needed food. Their traps have been shut for over a week and I never stimulated it besides when feeding it.

I have the plant inside so there aren't much insects. I live in NYC so it's already starting to get a little cold.
By boarderlib
Yes, the plant is stressed from a change in environment. I know when I'm sick the last thing I want is someone shoving food down my throat. It's the same thing. Once it starts growing actively again it's okay to feed the newer traps that have developed under your care.

The best thing you can do for a newly acquired plant is give it clean water, lots of light, and time. Then be prepared to clean off some dead traps. These traps die off and they'll grow new ones to replace the old ones.

These plants don't have to eat to survive, but it's helps them thrive. Remember they are plants, and just like any other plant they get energy from the sun for survival.

Happy growing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!