FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
boarderlib wrote:The only time I've seen algae growth with it was in the terrarium. I think that is because of the lack of fresh air flow. Yes I have a fan in there moving air, but all it does is blow the same stank air around. Plants of any kind need that fresh air to be healthy.
This is why I have a fan placed outside of my terrarium, blowing in through an ajar lid. As a result, I don't have algae problems on my sphag (except for in the conditions I mentioned before) and the sphagnum looks much stockier and not stringy.
By boarderlib
Benurmanii wrote:
boarderlib wrote:The only time I've seen algae growth with it was in the terrarium. I think that is because of the lack of fresh air flow. Yes I have a fan in there moving air, but all it does is blow the same stank air around. Plants of any kind need that fresh air to be healthy.
This is why I have a fan placed outside of my terrarium, blowing in through an ajar lid. As a result, I don't have algae problems on my sphag (except for in the conditions I mentioned before) and the sphagnum looks much stockier and not stringy.
That is why I'm planning on utilizing an exhaust fan setup for my dual chamber terrarium build. I'll set a timer to completely exhaust the air from inside the chambers once a day. On top of having a fan inside moving air around all of the time. Hopefully that will combat that stagnant air from building up.

Over a year since I've started my first terrarium and I'm still learning from mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:Turns out my plan didn't work so well, killed humidity
Your plan won't work unless you have the fan set to a timer. I have had my fan run at intervals of 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off (the ajar lid only leaves a few small openings, so this doesn't drain the humidity too much). I actually have it set to run for twenty minutes at periods that are a little more random, but it basically translates to into running for 20 minutes every hour during the day, and running for 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off at night, which helps a bit with cooling (and also activates my misting system, since the hygrometer I added to my purchase of it turned out to just be a hygrometer without a timer).
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:
tannerm wrote:Turns out my plan didn't work so well, killed humidity
Your plan won't work unless you have the fan set to a timer. I have had my fan run at intervals of 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off (the ajar lid only leaves a few small openings, so this doesn't drain the humidity too much). I actually have it set to run for twenty minutes at periods that are a little more random, but it basically translates to into running for 20 minutes every hour during the day, and running for 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off at night, which helps a bit with cooling (and also activates my misting system, since the hygrometer I added to my purchase of it turned out to just be a hygrometer without a timer).
I currently have it on a smart plug, so I'm sure I could set it up for a timer. Problem is I think too much of it is left unzipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
I used to use this in a frog tarrarium and it gives fresh air and humidity.
https://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Gold-Rep ... B000634980
You can make one pretty easily with just an air pump with the stone down into a jar of water and then another tube going out to the area you are growing in.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!