FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Celticmoon
Hi! I have 2 nepenthes from a garden centre that are desperately in need of repotting. I haven't done anything much with them but they are now splaying over a kitchen counter. Soooo I have a few questions.

They need to be moved from their west facing window at my mother's place to a south facing window in mine. Does it matter when I do that?

Can/should I tie them to a support structure? What and how?

What kind of pot and how large? Plants are now fairly substantial at vining stage with basal shoots.

I suppose garden centre variety soil is too nutritious, but what's the easiest and cheapest alternative. Might also need for some drosera esseriana but they've actually done fine in regular soil so far.

Thanks for any input!
By nimbulan
Neps at garden centers generally come from dedicated CP suppliers who use appropriate soil and pot sizes so it's rarely something you need to worry about. Most Neps also don't need much root space. Do you have a picture?
By Celticmoon
Thanks for your reply!

I've had it for years so thought it would need more root space tbh but will be happy to not repot if not needed. Still would like to bind it up somehow I think if possible. Can get pics tomorrow!
By Celticmoon
Can't remember when I bought them but must be 4 or 5 years ago. I've been afraid to disrupt them as they seem to be thriving. Will get pics tomorrow. Don't even know what species but suppose it's a mix or at least a common easy one
By Celticmoon
Pics of both
Attachments:
Second plant
Second plant
20160823_141807.jpg (488.04 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
Second plant
Second plant
20160823_141747.jpg (632 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
First plant
First plant
20160823_141539.jpg (474.58 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
First plant
First plant
20160823_141515.jpg (644.69 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
By Jeremias159
I usually re-pot my nepenthes every year to keep the roots healthy. Also the medium starts to break down after a year or so which, after a few years, results in to many nutrients in the soil. So yes i would definitely advise re-potting. A good size pot would be about 18cm or so in diameter and about 20cm deep, but anything near that should be fine. If buying a new pot i would also go with a plastic one, as terra cotta and unglazed clay pots are (debatable) not good for nepenthes plants.

Staking a nepenthes is also a very good idea as they are used to climbing up a tree. I would also consider cutting off the vine, only leaving the basal shoots. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/nepen ... 17361.html
By Celticmoon
Thanks! Yes was thinking of going for plastic. I've seen the debates and although all my CPs are doing fine in terracotta anyway plastic keeps better.

Will consider cutting off the vine just afraid I'll upset the plant and everything dies...
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!