FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By TheCapedSundew
Hey all. I need some help identifying some of my plants. I have a notion for most of them, but if you could help me pin them down, I'd love you forever and maybe name the spider in one of my sarracenia pitchers after you.

Speaking of sarracenia, here's mine:

I've been told it's a Judith Hindle. I can see that, but I'm not 100% convinced, just because I've seen other possible candidates. Here's what a fairly young leaf looks like after being open a few days:

(Bonus spider)

Here's what the leaves look like after a few weeks or months (they seem to last a long time):

Shape-wise, I see how it can be a Judith Hindle. However, the JH's I've seen (though not in person) appear more red, and brilliantly so. The younger leaves on mine have some brilliant red, though it's not so dominant, and the red gets duller over time.

Here's another Sarracenia, one I have no ideas about. There are two, and I'm certain that, whatever they are, they're the same species. They're from those Lowe's packs that comes with one "dormant" bulb each of sarracenia and VFT.

(P.S. mini bamboo skewers are great for propping up heavy pitchers {today was Maxsea day} and making holes to accommodate roots when repotting)

Our final mystery sarr. is a purp. Here's a brand-new leaf, just opened (most of the following pics also show extremely young, unopened leaves):

Here's what they look like a few days later. Note the veins, and the hood ruffling:

Here's what the leaf looks like for most of it's life. The veining makes a greater contrast, but is, to my eye, less defined:

This leaf is just old:

And here's the whole plant:

Up next are two VFT's. I'm wondering if these might be some mutants, like the Dente or Sawtooth types. Note the sharp-looking, triangular cilia:

This plant's cilia are closer to normal-looking, but still unusual. I've had VFT's ranging from tiny plantlets to mature, flowering plants, and the cilia always look the same. These, however, do not.

Now here are some sundews, all divisions from the same mother plant. I'm fairly certain they are d. spatulata, and I believe the seller told me the original plant was of the Fraser Island type. Just looking for confirmation:

Speaking of tiny round sundews, this one was a hitchhiker in a d. capensis I bought from the Carnivore Girl:

Finally, some Nepenthes. This one is fairly young. I found it at Lowe's late last year, and it was about a third the size. Here's the whole plant, and a close up of a fully developed pitcher. The plant has little stem to speak of at this time.

Here's my other one. I actually have two others, but both are the same type. Again, whole plant followed by a pitcher. This one's a hell of a climber.

This one also has a basal offshoot growing. Here's it's first wee pitcher:

So those are all my plants I don't know everything about. Thanks for looking and enlightening (or at least guessing)!
By BrandonH
I think your Nepenthe hanging from the roof is a Alata or at least a Nepenthes alata x ventricosa perhaps.

the 3rd (last one ) one looks like one i have unfortunately it is a unknown hybrid

BrandonH liked this
By Leathal_Traps
Oh I forgot to add the vfts. You can't label them as anything, unless they had a label when you bought them.

@BrandonH the 3rd one is a basal plant from the plant above, meaning it's the same species, and that plant is a ventrata. In case you didn't know, ventrata is a hybrid between alata and ventricosa
Leathal_Traps liked this
By BrandonH
Leathal_Traps wrote:Oh I forgot to add the vfts. You can't label them as anything, unless they had a label when you bought them.

@BrandonH the 3rd one is a basal plant from the plant above, meaning it's the same species, and that plant is a ventrata. In case you didn't know, ventrata is a hybrid between alata and ventricosa
Problem solved then! lol yes i have many nepenthes i do no what basals are as you can see from my pic but i didn't realize that was the basal of the plant he posted above.
By TheCapedSundew
Thanks for the replies! I looked up pictures of s. rubra, and it looks like a match, though some looked different. Any idea if mine is a straight-up rubra, or some kind of different type or hybrid? I have the same question re. the purp.

Also, the first two Nep. pics are of a different plant than the last three. I'm pretty sure they're of two different species.
By TheCapedSundew
Oh, and about the VFT's: I don't want to sell them as anything in particular. I got them from Lowe's, so frankly who knows where they came from. But I am asking, do they seem like some kind of mutation, or do they look typical to you?
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!