FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Bristol
VFT King Henry........

This plant doesn't have the color like other popular clones, but it is vigorous and grows very large pretty traps under prime conditions. Very noticeable is the length of the traps with the extreme bottom arch where the lobes meet the stem. I was inspired by a photo I saw a pot full of these KH with 1 inch + traps. I was dire to replicate it in my collective. So far so good growing outdoors in full sun and the pot is clustering very well. The real test will be next month when temps get up to 105 daily and humidity is allot less.

It would be great to create a plant with this size and complexion, but with a solid inner red mouth. Can you see it? Someday......
Attachments:
VFT - King Henry
VFT - King Henry
IMG_1287 sm.jpg (946.58 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Bristol, Bristol liked this
By katya_dog1
Yeah, King Henry gets big, but I must say I wish it was more colorful. The darkest I've ever seen on mine was a light peach tone in the traps.

In terms of trap shape, size and how vigorous it is, it's definitely a winner! It is also a plant that gets large traps all the time, not just in the spring and early summer. from wake-up to dormancy, my plants have traps 1 inch or more.
By Bristol
Before and after photos......

This plant was beat-in up the most by mites, then by prolong dry heat. It was partially my fault for neglecting them. No early spray bombs and no additional water during constant dry heat.(Last year 2015.) The plants were sprayed with Floramite then switched to Forbid then to Floramite, then placed in shade throughout the rest of the season. I erected a fence to shade the plants from the intense heat. CA is in a drought so mites, roaches and other pest are abundant when there's no rain. I should of known when I started to see white fly's. Broad mites/spider mites can hitch rides on other flying insects and infest a whole collective, thats if you're like me and not on top of your plant game. You could prevent them from infesting but you can't stop them from coming around. They're everywhere. So early spraying is a must if you grow outside.
Attachments:
Plants under attack by Broad and Spider Mites; 2015 Season
Plants under attack by Broad and Spider Mites; 2015 Season
2015_08_12 My CP sm.jpg (503 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
VFT Typ: New soil  Feb/March 2016
VFT Typ: New soil Feb/March 2016
IMG_0070 sm.JPG (906.24 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
VFT-Typ Plants recovering well; July 2016 Season
VFT-Typ Plants recovering well; July 2016 Season
IMG_1233 sm.jpg (966.85 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
VFT Row: July 2016 Season
VFT Row: July 2016 Season
IMG_1220 sm.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2029 times
Last edited by Bristol on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bristol liked this
By Bristol
katya_dog1 wrote:Yeah, King Henry gets big, but I must say I wish it was more colorful. The darkest I've ever seen on mine was a light peach tone in the traps.

In terms of trap shape, size and how vigorous it is, it's definitely a winner! It is also a plant that gets large traps all the time, not just in the spring and early summer. from wake-up to dormancy, my plants have traps 1 inch or more.

Yeah totally agree with you katya.....its size and viggy make up for the less color. Yet, its a must have. Wish I have save that photo I saw. That pot was tantalizing and spell-phoric! I was like W>O>W man look at that! I must have it! Now I can't find it anymore.

Hey there was Moorie that you wanted a piece of. It got beat up too last year and now it's making a nice recovery. I have yet to break that one up..I haven't forgot about you..
By katya_dog1
Bristol wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:Yeah, King Henry gets big, but I must say I wish it was more colorful. The darkest I've ever seen on mine was a light peach tone in the traps.

Yeah totally agree with you katya.....its size and viggy make up for the less color. Yet, its a must have. Wish I have save that photo I saw. That pot was tantalizing and spell-phoric! I was like W>O>W man look at that! I must have it! Now I can't find it anymore.

Hey there was Moorie that you wanted a piece of. It got beat up too last year and now it's making a nice recovery. I have yet to break that one up..I haven't forgot about you..

I want to replicate what you've got there myself, nothing like pots full of VFTs for wow factor. What diameter pots are those again? You've probably already told me, but I forgot. those VFT Typicals sure have made an amazing recovery, too... I wouldn't have thought they could have grown that much between the before and after photos..

And as to the Moorei clone, anytime this Fall or next Spring when you divide I'd still be interested in buying a division.
By Bristol
katya_dog1 wrote:I want to replicate what you've got there myself, nothing like pots full of VFTs for wow factor. What diameter pots are those again? You've probably already told me, but I forgot. those VFT Typicals sure have made an amazing recovery, too... I wouldn't have thought they could have grown that much between the before and after photos..
Home Depot #1 Nursery Pot 6" dia x 7" Depth. I have accumulated 100 of these pots that I reuse over and over again. I disinfect them using Tilex Mildew Cleaner, a toilet brush and old dish washing sponge. I wash them in my bath tub rinsing with hot water. I haven't bought pots for several years now. They are cheap, durable, readily available at Home Depot and last a long time. The depth of the pot really made a big difference in my VFT happiness compared to the white pots shown in the previous posting. For Sarracenias, these pots give allot more room for the roots to grow and what you get are nice happy plants that will grow very pretty yearly for you to see.

Direct sunlight is what help them grow so fast; referencing before and after photos. I'm really happy cause I almost lost it. Some of those plants are very old and would have nice sizable traps if it weren't for the set back. Its my fault. I did lose a pot of Reds to mites. We'll see how they grow next year.....
Attachments:
VFT - TYP
VFT - TYP
IMG_1263.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 2009 times
VFT - B52
VFT - B52
IMG_1284.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
VFT - TYP red mouths
VFT - TYP red mouths
IMG_1264.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
VFT - B52
VFT - B52
IMG_1286.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
VFT - Reds
VFT - Reds
IMG_1268 sm.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
By HuxTraps
Wow! Amazing plants! And thanks for the tips. So great having people in the know like you to learn from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!