FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Morpheus
I'm absolutely terrible at introductions, so here's a sad attempt at one :lol: Well, my name is Tyson. I've been a member here for almost a year and a half now. Sadly I never grew enough flytraps to feel the need to make a thread devoted to them. Well, times have changed and I've taken a stronger interest in growing this iconic genus. Anyways, here's some pictures of my small collection of flytraps. It's still pretty small, especially compared to my sarracenia collection, but I hope to add more as the growing season rolls on (FTS Archangel I'm looking at you :mrgreen: ). *drum roll please*

Here's my growing table, I built it from pallets and covered it with a piece of fabric from an old broken SunShade covering, just to help improve the look. It's not the most beautiful thing, but it was completely free to make so I can't complain haha. It sits beside the garden and gets full blazing sun all day long. The plants seem to love it out there.
ImageIMG_5194 by tagregory174, on Flickr

Little group shot taken about a week ago. The three green ones in the front are typicals(two are the same clone), I'm running a test to see if the one in the LFS will exhibit better growth than its cloned sibling in the peat/perlite/sand mix.
ImageIMG_5252 by tagregory174, on Flickr

Here's a closeup of the 'Big Mouth' division I purchased from ironjaws earlier this spring. I'm loving the color in the traps!
ImageIMG_5260 by tagregory174, on Flickr

Here's my 'Triton' that I ordered from FTS earlier this year. Probably my favorite flytrap in my collection. I love the fused traps and the lime green color! I think it has so much character!
ImageIMG_5259 by tagregory174, on Flickr

"Starter sized" 'Fused Tooth' I say "starter size" in quotes because this little guy tried pushing up a flower stalk on me as it was waking up. Definitely sounds bigger than starter sized to me ;) He's also been rather hungry, the traps don't stay open for long haha
ImageIMG_5257 by tagregory174, on Flickr

Little 'Crimson Sawtooth' waking up. Such a cutie! It's so tiny :D
ImageIMG_5258 by tagregory174, on Flickr

A new rescue from Lowes. I normally can't find any healthy enough to try to save, but I found this guy in "good" condition, relatively... I'm rather interested in this one though. Normally the flytraps I see at Lowes have almost no pigmentation at all in the traps, this guy despite the etiolation, had a strong flush of pigment in the traps (before repotting closed them). It also appeared to express the pigmentation all the way into the cilia, which if you look closely is just barely discernable in the trap on the top left. If it looks anything like I'm hoping it will, it should be a very colorful plant.
ImageIMG_5256 by tagregory174, on Flickr

To finish up this post here's a very tiny mini-bog I made. The two larger traps are typicals and the tiny little guy in the front is a 'Big Mouth' division. The Sarracenia in the back is a leucophylla 'Tarnok'. There's also some Drosera binata seedlings in there, they just haven't woken up yet
ImageIMG_5261 by tagregory174, on Flickr
By Morpheus
Thanks guys!

I like that little Crimson Sawtooth too, I can't wait for it to put on some size. I need to start feeding it soon :D I think the Lowes one will make a pretty strong revival. I've found the flytraps from lowes to be exceptionally hardy, I can't imagine why :lol: I really hope it colors up how I'm expecting it to. If there are any traps open tonight I'll update to show the amount of red in them. I was really surprised when I seen it.
By Morpheus
Thank you cdelavan!

Thanks Matt! I figured it was about time to stop lurking and start posting pictures after being a member for so long! I wish I could take credit for the health of the plants I recently acquired but I cannot. You and the others I have purchased from have done all of the work, I have merely enabled them to awaken from slumber in a new environment ;)
By Morpheus
Man I need to update this thread more... To make up for my lack of activity I'll throw up some shots from back in the summer. Besides who can complain about plant pictures? ;)

This is the same 'FTS Crimson Sawtooth' from earlier in the thread. Something caused the main plant to rot off not too long after the original photo was taken and I was left with the smallest little plant that struggled through the summer. I decided to pull it out of dormancy early and stick it under lights and I'm glad I did so! Never give up on your plants, they'll always end up surprising you!
ImageUntitled by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr

Pot full of 'Big Mouth' from last august, definitely a vigorous plant!
ImageIMG_6063 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr

A 'Maroon Monster' last august. This guy quintupled in size over the course of one growing season. Everyone needs one of these in their collection! I'm expecting great things from this cultivar come summer. Did i mention how much i love this cultivar?? :mrgreen:
ImageIMG_6062 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6061 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr

Minibog in a small ceramic pot, just a bunch of typicals. Still pretty nonetheless!
ImageDSC_0076 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0075 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0070 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr

Incredibly red typical I rescued from Lowes. This picture was taken around mid August and I got the plant around mid-late April. The original photo of this guy is in the beginning of this thread, it's the really sad looking plant haha. I'm so happy with it's growth!
ImageDSC_0016 by Tyson Gregory, on Flickr

That's about it for now, I may update again later with more pictures if I can find them! Hope y'all enjoy!

Oh and before I forget, the plastic pots my plants are in are about 3.5 inches wide, the photos really don't do the plants justice in terms of size!
Last edited by Morpheus on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus liked this
By Matt
They all look great!
Morpheus wrote:A 'Maroon Monster' last august. This guy quintupled in size over the course of one growing season. Everyone needs one of these in their collection!
That's what happened to my very first Maroon Monster (before it was even named). I couldn't believe how quickly it went from a modest sized plant to a giant. That's when I decided it was worth naming :)
Matt liked this
By Morpheus
Matt wrote:They all look great!
Morpheus wrote:A 'Maroon Monster' last august. This guy quintupled in size over the course of one growing season. Everyone needs one of these in their collection!
That's what happened to my very first Maroon Monster (before it was even named). I couldn't believe how quickly it went from a modest sized plant to a giant. That's when I decided it was worth naming :)
Thanks! I'm so glad you stumbled across that plant in a seed batch! It's incredible! I don't even have it to full maturity yet and it's by far my favorite Flytrap haha. I'm really excited to see what it does after being established for a year :D

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!