FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Nathanation11
I'm new to the carnivorous plant growing community, so I have not run into this problem yet, but what do you do with old/used soil? I'm guessing that since it is nutrient poor, that possibly nothing got lowered in quality, but I don't know. I have heard that you mix it with new soil, but it will still get old, and I've also heard that they re-enrich it, but that's obviously not for carnivorous plants. What is the best thing to do with used soil?
By steve booth
I save it and use it for CP seeds, it doesn't tend to grow mould as much as new peat does. If it isn't too degraded (it degrades to a powder like consistency rather than the lumpy bits you started with) I mix it in with the medium in my larger bogs.
Again if you have largish quantities of it and bog gardens, I mix it with pine bark, sulphur and perlite to give me a medium that is usable in a bog setting for another four/five years them regenerate it again. Obviously it is not as good as new soil but if you aren't growing specimen plants (which I cant do outdoors in the UK anyway) then it is perfectly serviceable.

Otherwise it is a great soil conditioner.

Cheers
Steve
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!