FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
Just mist them, painting them is extremely time consuming (I'm normally patient, but after doing 40 seedlings my patience wanes quickly)

As long as you flush the soil every once in a while to eliminate potential buildup, you'll be fine even if you get a lot of fertilizer on the soil. But chances are, if you do it correctly, you won't even have to do that. I just use it as a preventative measure.
By David F
katya_dog1 wrote:Soil fertilizing can cause algae growth. Just mist your plants with the solution.

Never, ever pour MaxSea on to a flytrap's soil. They will not tolerate it.
According to?

Perhaps you mean physical powder of maxsea? I wouldn't recommend that either, but watering the flytraps or root-feeding is perfectly acceptable. As long as you are taking the necessary precautions.
By katya_dog1
David F wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:Soil fertilizing can cause algae growth. Just mist your plants with the solution.

Never, ever pour MaxSea on to a flytrap's soil. They will not tolerate it.
According to?

Perhaps you mean physical powder of maxsea? I wouldn't recommend that either, but watering the flytraps or root-feeding is perfectly acceptable. As long as you are taking the necessary precautions.
Post edit coming up-- According to my own experience. I always forget to add that.

Anytime I've root-fed my plants they don't respond as well as with foliar feeding, and I end up having to flush the soil way more often. Not to mention the fact that my soil grows algae incredibly fast, which is annoying, ugly, and smelly. I have too many plants to bother with flushing, scraping the media etc.

I have not found a method yet for soil fertilization for flytraps. Again, it is much more effort to go around individually watering my plants with MaxSea solution rather than just misting them. And I don't know what concentration you use, but I end up having to flush the pots, which just means more work for me.

1/4 strength MaxSea, when root-fed to my plants once a week (Normal schedule foliar feed once a week with 1/4 strength as well) causes swift decline. If I don't flush the pots (which is what I'm trying to avoid here as I don't have to do this with foliar feeding, it's spray and forget) my plants begin to show over-fertilization symptoms.
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!