FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
yesterday morning my Venusta and Alicea both were dewy except on the old leaves. then I noticed last night (after a day of sun in the window) that the Venusta has pretty much lost all it's dew. so I was gonna be repotting the Capensis, and decided to split up the Venusta and Alicea as well. when I uprooted the Venusta, the roots were starting to grow horizontally along the bottom (they were even starting to encroach into the Aliceas' root space)! so I put it into a 16oz cup (they were in an 8.5 oz one). repotted all of them and watered well to settle the medium around the roots. could the lack of root space cause the plant to not dew up correctly? because the Alicea didn't have quite as long of roots (still room to grow) and she's still dewy. and plus I have no way of giving them full sun through the window and a humidity cover :( it's not gonna die if it doesn't produce dew is it? could I try spritzing them when out of the cover or would that be bad? any advice would be appreciated :)
By SFLguy
Spraying them can hurt more than help I believe, venusta tends to be one of the more temperamental plants, just give it some time :)
By hollyhock
Do not spritz with water.. I thought that once and that's all it took to kill my sundew. My sundews are not producing that much dew this time of year either. I think it is warmth and sunshine that helps produce the dew.
By roarke
hollyhock wrote:Do not spritz with water.. I thought that once and that's all it took to kill my sundew. My sundews are not producing that much dew this time of year either. I think it is warmth and sunshine that helps produce the dew.
What about rain than ?
By TS 1989
roarke wrote:
hollyhock wrote:Do not spritz with water.. I thought that once and that's all it took to kill my sundew. My sundews are not producing that much dew this time of year either. I think it is warmth and sunshine that helps produce the dew.
What about rain than ?
Rain washes away the dew too, but it rains once a week on average.
By hollyhock
Yes that is true that rain can wash away the dew. But I guess when growing them indoors they can be subject to more chances for rot if they are sprayed with water.. I would just rather give them more humidity than directly wetting them.
By Tarzanus
Rain does harm them a bit, but they recover in a couple of days, sometimes they even loose some of their dew permanently because the tentacles get damaged somehow. Same thing happens inside when you water them. I usually do my best to spray water over the area without leaves or submerge the pot into water up to the soil level. When it fills with water (usually after a day) I remove the deep tray and water the next sundew the same way.
By Earthy
okay...without the dew though it makes the leaves look "dry"; then I wonder if I'm doing something else wrong lol...I've noticed if I put a humidity top on the they get a little more dew...
By Earthy
Okay, what about watering while indoors? Tray or not? Sorry I'm asking so many questions; first time growing sundews indoors for the winter lol...
By Tarzanus
Both. I use tray to water them, but from time to time, I also water them from top. If the water that fills the tray appears dark colored, I toss it and water from top again to flush the soil. I did that a couple of days ago after also trimming dead leaves and flower stalks. It looks much better now. I also aerated the soil when it got submerged by poking it with a tall needle. A lot of air bubbles escaped after 24 hours of completely submerged pot when I poked the needle through the soil full of trapped air. Sometimes peat moss and all the roots can make it hard for the air to get out and water to fill the gaps. Next time, I'll transplant the whole thing. :)
By Earthy
I'm hoping it's just a case of "I need to acclimate" because she's still putting out new leaves...they just go non-dewy like a day or 2 after they open :-/
By Tarzanus
When planted into new soil, moving to a new location or any drastic disturbance (in the force :)), they will stop producing dew for a while. Some of the new leaves can even appear burnt. In a week or two, usually they recover and start growing normally, so that in a month or so, you won't even be able to tell which one of the plants got transplanted. Spraying over leaves can do more harm than good, so I usually water over the centre of the plants when I water from top. That way, I never wash off the dew from the leaves and they remain sticky.

Here's a sticky one :)
By Earthy
I'll try and get some up here in the next few days. I upped the water by putting it into a tray and keeping about 1/4" in it (so it can take up when needed and let it dry out for a day or 2 in-between waterings) on advice by someone, and it looks like it's producing a little more dew on the new leaves that are opening. plus I moved it into the cool-at-night west facing window with my neps and pings (which seem to like it there; the nep seedlings are growing like weeds lol) in case there was too much heat for it...the way it looks it may not have been wet enough...the older leaves look dried out and kinda crispy...

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!