FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By nanomania
Hey guys, i wana buyild small medium and pico terretium/vivariums and recently have been facinated by CPs. Im plannin on vft, sundews and pitcer plants. Have reasearched a bit and come across dormancy periods of some plants. Well i stay in india, mumbai (bombay), here april may june is very hot, july aug sep hot but rains, oct is warm, nov is pleasant, dec jan feb is a bit cold, march april is normal. What and how shud i grow? Any CP that loves high humidity?
By nimbulan
There are quite a few carnivorous plants that appreciate high humidity though for most it is not necessary - light is the most important factor. High temperatures during the summer will be a problem for some plants. I would recommend growing them in open air without an enclosure since you already have high humidity.

Flytraps and Sarracenia pitcher plants are temperate and need a winter dormancy. I do not know if your winters will provide the right conditions for them to go dormant naturally though you can simulate it by storing the plants in a refrigerator over the winter.

Some sundews are temperate as well but most are tropical or subtropical. Some plants will not like very high summer temperatures and may need to be protected from excessive heat.

As for tropical pitcher plants, I'm not really sure if your climate is suitable. They tend to be much more picky about temperatures though they would enjoy the humidity.
By nanomania
nimbulan wrote:There are quite a few carnivorous plants that appreciate high humidity though for most it is not necessary - light is the most important factor. High temperatures during the summer will be a problem for some plants. I would recommend growing them in open air without an enclosure since you already have high humidity.

Flytraps and Sarracenia pitcher plants are temperate and need a winter dormancy. I do not know if your winters will provide the right conditions for them to go dormant naturally though you can simulate it by storing the plants in a refrigerator over the winter.

Some sundews are temperate as well but most are tropical or subtropical. Some plants will not like very high summer temperatures and may need to be protected from excessive heat.

As for tropical pitcher plants, I'm not really sure if your climate is suitable. They tend to be much more picky about temperatures though they would enjoy the humidity.
Iv ordered seeds if all 3, is cocopeat a good substrate? Though i do have spaghnum moss, but not peat moss. Also for feeding, is once a week ok? Do u need to feed every single head?
By TS 1989
nanomania wrote:
nimbulan wrote:There are quite a few carnivorous plants that appreciate high humidity though for most it is not necessary - light is the most important factor. High temperatures during the summer will be a problem for some plants. I would recommend growing them in open air without an enclosure since you already have high humidity.

Iv ordered seeds if all 3, is cocopeat a good substrate? Though i do have spaghnum moss, but not peat moss. Also for feeding, is once a week ok? Do u need to feed every single head?
I rarely feed my plants. After a period of time, you will facepalm about how many insects they are catching until the entire pitcher topples over.
By TS 1989
nanomania wrote:Well indirect sunlight
Sarracenia and flytraps prefer 4 hours or more of direct sunlight. Try growing them outside.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!